Almost lost the Tahoe today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add, I use a Club on all my vehicles -all the time. I wonder how effective that is? I expect it to be a fairly decent deterrent.
I believe you can find video on YouTube of this very thing. Something you might consider, though, is Lok-Itt:

They are about $150ish on eBay. I'm seriously considering it myself, but I need it for 3 vehicles; that, plus the alarms are bank breaking. :(

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I believe you can find video on YouTube of this very thing. Something you might consider, though, is Lok-Itt:

They are about $150ish on eBay. I'm seriously considering it myself, but I need it for 3 vehicles; that, plus the alarms are bank breaking. :(
It seems ok, but what if you need to get into the column? Say you need to replace the ignition switch, or the turn signal/cruise control stalk? I think you'd be screwed. Great concept, but it's a little too permanent for my liking--talking about the breakaway bolts. I never even knew they existed.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The weakest link with the club is the steering wheel itself. Literally takes 10 secs to cut through the rim of the steering wheel with a hacksaw blade. The club will slide right off.
Yeah. I know they can do that. Just wondering how much of a deterrent it is. I know if they really want your vehicle, they’ll get it. Just hoping to stop the vast majority. I’m thinking I need a good alarm. I was also considering Lo Jack. I didn’t see any opinions on that.

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so maybe I am just super naive, or maybe I am a country bumpkin but dude cars just do not get stolen around here. It is mind bending for me to read about the hoops you guys jump through to secure you cars.

I am not saying anything about it wrong, in fact you are better for it. But damn I just cant seem to understand on this one.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems ok, but what if you need to get into the column? Say you need to replace the ignition switch, or the turn signal/cruise control stalk? I think you'd be screwed. Great concept, but it's a little too permanent for my liking--talking about the breakaway bolts. I never even knew they existed.
Yeah, that’s not for me. It looks like shit too. Do not like that. Kludgy AF.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if all trim levels of the GMT800 had factory alarm systems, but mine does. I thought that between that and being conscious of the environments that I park in, I would be OK, and until now it has been. I really thought our parking garage would be safe enough if you didn't park in the dark corners. I always parked in a space that was well-lit and highly visible, but covid has left the suite that looks out on where I park empty, so there wasn't anyone looking out the windows by the garage.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You get replacement breakaway bolts. Then you drill out the existing ones and make whatever repair is required. Then you reassemble.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s not for me. It looks like shit too. Do not like that. Kludgy AF.
I don't like it either, really. But the damage they do to the column covers and column itself could make it worthwhile. Plus, one of my vehicles has a black column.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so maybe I am just super naive, or maybe I am a country bumpkin but dude cars just do not get stolen around here. It is mind bending for me to read about the hoops you guys jump through to secure you cars.

I am not saying anything about it wrong, in fact you are better for it. But damn I just cant seem to understand on this one.
CXTTLtfIA8HWLxnQNiDvZ7OePq3qlaV1BjlY0PzoCuF98FxTMvVsNFPyOEs3CSYU_Pe7_16iK2woNFl14zG9Sn2PYwRkwokQOCF0E3BUwb0sCMMC5qhIF8li5ro3RptkPGhuRGRw7Fv4rRSRmW1ceLmqt6B5l4uohJvC70xNOuE4i-mwqQCnlVh84o6FO29ujbhv6yhZBDtT7adyTCurud59vmoRVygP1jopTk4Rm_C7LUCstR4UDBca2bZQ3sHLFCkPJOOoddfnX1Rc8Q1OnLlJ9Z8aIGf-hXAnix6ARBHhz4j38Z9izYMi48cY50ptgKNeINPYqthO_5d4QaavtJWypFzpV1bVL5gfdJeZ9yqd6xK2L6S07DiV9W_ajkkUMGzXIfTPko6ce_vYDVF487UUjCZHfokFW65GszcMPrS5pepINCpUfuwtg93ctdetC0xqLLmhglY8FDOZXsy2Ynu8ysbKNtrMdkAatBlIrM70Om533X4kEPZYEKQP4QEm6TMSNC7DPTA4EPs4BYE7S2hs0e4VNwSf3d82L7kMa6AKJWploIvQVZ2NsgsDaBez1ZeaWuD9BNtt0cessLP6hBewR4dY3Dakjj52gFQ6HG73llY5Q1lJ596zlNoNZ3ojODnQiW3Ffd3IFQWpCqLyXBboQtPcl1v3JxWLMIXjAUNEjrcMpAW0BEjtmtl4BTU=w708-h944-no

O0SMrRoW1hfHAeWeoTN5Sn5uwg=w708-h944-no?authuser=0.jpg

They knocked out the locks on both doors, which seems really stupid to me -- knock one out and then use the lock from the inside, <sigh>. They also destroyed both steering columns. The one on our Sierra was so bad that the key would not longer turn the ignition, and the column shifter wouldn't even shift into neutral.

Oh! And this happened in my home driveway, on a relatively busy street, 50 - 100 feet from a street light.

Knocking the door locks out and then opening with a screwdriver defeats the factory alarm because the factory alarm thinks the door was opened with a key. THIS is why a secondary alarm is necessary, and a kill switch of some sort is needed to keep them from driving away.

None of this would stop a prepared/determined thief, but you are just trying to slow someone like that down, or convince them there are easier targets than your vehicle.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I installed the Jimmy Jammer on all 4 door lock tumblers. I also have a Viper alarm with the armed light visibly flashing in my windshield. Hopefully that'll be enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT