Alignment specs ; camber & camber

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had an alignment just before Halloween and after some hours behind the wheel I've noticed a straight line tracking, cornering and wandering to the right at times issue.

Dug out the alignment sheet and noticed the font left caster is .9* front left camber is .1*. Shouldn't these two be tighter spec?

View attachment 211523

I know what to expect out of mud tires and road grip wander but this feels straight line tracking issue. Wants to wander to the right at times and the steering wheel isn't self centering as expected.

Anyone know much on the topic?

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had the camber adjuster maxed out in the right side after this specific alignment and it tracked to the right pretty good due to bad toe before it. Caster was readjusted to a closer spec, and it tracked so much better, despite the camber being off on the right side. I don't know how a lift affects the entire geometry/adjusting procedure or how it reacts to it, but it looks like it could be adjusted to a more reasonable spec as it sits it's out of spec, unless the guy there told you some reason as to why it cant be brought to spec. Sometimes these guys can half-ass things, and don't give two cents about what it looks as long as it is within the ballpark. I had a terrible experience at the first shop I took my truck to and they kept having me back. Caster affects the return to center so being off I would imagine it would cause you to end up shifting to whatever side has more bias, or at least that's my theory am no expert. This is how mine looked before final adjustment and it tracked right, I had one more final alignment after this one and it got things to spec after new hardware for both camber and caster was installed. https://i.postimg.cc/zBBj93ZF/P-20180819-164634-1.jpg

Last edited:

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here I lied this was another terrible alignment job, all they cared was ballpark numbers and called it aligned, note I dont know how tire size or different trims affect the alignment on these trucks as they are about the same, but they entered the wrong vehicle despite that being like my third time in there, here they used a 16" wheeled 4x4 and not 17"s which my truck came with. If I recall correctly this pulled right after a few feet and I had to readjust which pissed me off pretty quick.
https://i.postimg.cc/024mWZcj/P-20181130-001505-p.jpg

OP
OP
BeenChevy

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Erick. Would you say that with the numbers I'm looking at I'll need the career and camber closer? I don't like driving something that feels out of control. it has better control before with my old front end

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, the camber is pretty spot on. Camber and toe are the 2 big ones when it comes to tire wear, even though the toe is in spec it isn't the same in both sides which it should. The biggest problem with your alignment is the caster which is way off out of spec, I don't know how they managed to not leave the toe the same though, Out of all the shady places I've been to they've never managed to screw that one up. if they return it with the caster out of spec in the red zone either negative or positive ask why that's happening. I would be curious to know, For me you can see the guy that did mine provided a reason as to why the camber couldn't be brought to spec, which was maxed out cam plate adjustment. best of luck:2cents:

Last edited:
OP
OP
BeenChevy

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right. The $98.99 they charge includes 6mo warranty. The first appointment they made with me the guy couldn't align because he didn't have the "special" tools needed to perform an alignment and the certified alignment tech wasn't in that day.

The tech scratched the crap out of my new inner tie-rods which have since rusted in those places. Poor guy couldn't figure out the tie-rod sleeves, though I mentioned having them installed over the phone and again upon arrival and any questions, please ask.

Was given the go-ahead to drive the vehicle which home and come back tomorrow when the certified tech would be there. Had way more slop than prior to the toe-adjustment. He left the tie-rod end castle nuts loose at the knuckle, 1 was about off when after driving less than a mile back to my home. Both we're torqued to spec previously.

Passenger side cam is close to bottomed out but still some room. I'm going to de-tension the passenger side key one full revolution as it's about 1/4" from the LCA mounted energy bushing I stacked on it and drivers side is just touching. Then try and get my money back so I can bring it to another nearby shop.

IMG_20181103_184546.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts