Alignment… aligned or not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D8801F3F-9618-4033-9DD1-B350D7215CAE.jpegJust looking for some additional information.

Backstory:
About 8 months back I installed a 2” level on the front of my 2007 Tahoe. I didn’t get an alignment immediately and noticed the outer edges of the tires wearing badly. I was finally able to get it into the shop for an alignment couple months ago and picked it up and went on my merry way.

Last night:
Decided to replace my upper control arms, wheel bearings and cv axels(boot was slinging grease). I snapped off 2 of the bolts for the upper control arm alignment cams. I had been soaking them in penetrating oil for the last 2 weeks. I would assume with a 2” level they would certainly had to been adjusted to correct the alignment. Also the factory alignment cams were still in place with the original plastic from the factory assembly.

My Thoughts:
The shop didn’t actually do a correct alignment. My tires seemed to continue to wear heavily on the outer edge, it would be hard to prove because they were already worn. These alignment cams and frozen bolts solidify my opinion that I paid for nothing.

Looking for some other opinions as to my findings and thoughts. 2” level would almost certainly require adjustment on those cams correct?

Picture for reference, the chips/crack is from me dropping them….

OP
OP
Trailblazzin

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they give you a printout showing alignment specs before and after they did the alignment?
Nope, didn’t think much at the time just grabbed my invoice and left. I know exactly what you are referring to but didn’t get one this time.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
It’s pretty easy to see if they have been moved by looking at the impression of the cam on the frame. Too late for that now, of course. I think you were ripped off, because any honest shop will give you the before and after results.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 356283Just looking for some additional information.

Backstory:
About 8 months back I installed a 2” level on the front of my 2007 Tahoe. I didn’t get an alignment immediately and noticed the outer edges of the tires wearing badly. I was finally able to get it into the shop for an alignment couple months ago and picked it up and went on my merry way.

Last night:
Decided to replace my upper control arms, wheel bearings and cv axels(boot was slinging grease). I snapped off 2 of the bolts for the upper control arm alignment cams. I had been soaking them in penetrating oil for the last 2 weeks. I would assume with a 2” level they would certainly had to been adjusted to correct the alignment. Also the factory alignment cams were still in place with the original plastic from the factory assembly.

My Thoughts:
The shop didn’t actually do a correct alignment. My tires seemed to continue to wear heavily on the outer edge, it would be hard to prove because they were already worn. These alignment cams and frozen bolts solidify my opinion that I paid for nothing.

Looking for some other opinions as to my findings and thoughts. 2” level would almost certainly require adjustment on those cams correct?

Picture for reference, the chips/crack is from me dropping them….
The factory settings for the alignment cams, which control Caster and Camber, do not cause tire wear with a healthy suspension. The toe setting of the tie rods does.

I do not know if a level would require the Caster and or Camber to be adjusted, but definitely the toe.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That is called a "set the toe and let it go" alignment. Always, always, always get an alignment print out of the before and after readings. Your camber readings are likely still off but once the outer wear is bad enough, it can look like it is getting worse, even if the settings are correct. All alignments typically end up with a slight toe in and that is the spec called for.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Trailblazzin Unfortunately most alignment shops will align the truck without adjusting the camber. It happened to my brother with his Tahoe and to me with mine. The other unfortunate part is technically it can fall "within spec" and still destroy your tires prematurely and the printout will read green. Once you learn about the alignment cams it is good to be aware of them especially when getting alignment after changing the ride height.

What I ended up doing was going to a different shop, a larger independent shop in town and saying "can you look at this?" and bringing them out and showing them the excess wear on the tires and the alignment cams saying "the last shop I took it to never adjusted these, can you align my truck and get it set right so that the tires I am about to buy don't end up like this?"

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had mine done earlier in the month, I presented them with the specs I wanted. After a discussion with the technician, we agreed on a slightly different spec and thus far all is good. I also had them save the inserts like the OP did and when I get around to it, will compare the current position of the cams to where he set it. He said it would be moved even though all 4 were still in place since leaving the factory. No complaints thus far with the alignment.

Backwoodz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If the plastic inserts were still in then the camber/caster wasn't adjusted. However...if the alignment is correct before the level kit is installed the camber/caster usually doesn't need to be adjusted. Contrary to popular belief camber isn't usually the cause of edge wear on the tires...incorrect toe settings are usually to blame

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk