Airaid or k&n ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The next mod or accessory I’d like to bolt onto my cheby is a air intake (I like the sound).

I like k&n they have been around for longer than I’ve been alive and people use use this brand

I also like AFM

Anywho, which would be a better option and why?

K & N cold air intake kit #633082

Or

AEM drop in air filter for stock box and a airaid JR pipe

Comments, suggestions and why are welcome

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally stay away from ANY K&N product when dealing with a Speed Density (MAF-Mass Air Flow) vehicle. Their oils, and cleaning chemicals, tend to play havoc on them.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K&N is over advertised AIR FLOW...i do beleive proven to FILTER less.

like stated, i prefer to stay away from OILED filters.

if looking for a good middle ground, DRY FILTER IN FACTORY BOX, then add the Airaid JR intake tube...or even their tube/filter combo...that fits the stock air box

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The next mod or accessory I’d like to bolt onto my cheby is a air intake (I like the sound).

I like k&n they have been around for longer than I’ve been alive and people use use this brand

I also like AFM

Anywho, which would be a better option and why?

K & N cold air intake kit #633082

Or

AEM drop in air filter for stock box and a airaid JR pipe

Comments, suggestions and why are welcome

Where and how does that K&N create this "cold air"?

I agree on the sound, but why sacrifice performance and engine life? A big, honking cone filter does not chill the air. It also doesn't filter as efficiently, which is why it relies on oil. But, how are you to know if it's not over-oiled or oiled enough? Why pay hundreds of dollars to make something as simple as an air filter so complicated, with negative returns for the investment?

I've said it numerous times and still stand firm: For the price, you can't beat the factory filter box and a smooth tube to the throttle body. I generically say "smooth tube" since you can make an adequate one from PVC or ABS pipe from a hardware store, if you were so inclined. In addition to the filter and tube, spend the $5 on some weather seal foam and replace the crappy seal from the box to the fender. That, alone, makes a world of difference in lowering the IATs.

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where and how does that K&N create this "cold air"?

I agree on the sound, but why sacrifice performance and engine life? A big, honking cone filter does not chill the air. It also doesn't filter as efficiently, which is why it relies on oil. But, how are you to know if it's not over-oiled or oiled enough? Why pay hundreds of dollars to make something as simple as an air filter so complicated, with negative returns for the investment?

I've said it numerous times and still stand firm: For the price, you can't beat the factory filter box and a smooth tube to the throttle body. I generically say "smooth tube" since you can make an adequate one from PVC or ABS pipe from a hardware store, if you were so inclined. In addition to the filter and tube, spend the $5 on some weather seal foam and replace the crappy seal from the box to the fender. That, alone, makes a world of difference in lowering the IATs.
Well ok so last night I pulled the air box out so I could install my JDM yellow high beams and decided to open the air box up and found what looks like sand and weird leaves at the bottom of the air box!!!!! Cleaned it all out but now I’m concerned how much of that sucked into the engine

I’m curious about just saving the $350+ and Swiss cheese the box? Maybe cut out the bottom with a dremel but leave the mounting feet just say I can get a little more sound, and swap the stop tube for a airaid jr? If this is a pointless mod than I’ll just stop now

I’ll be honest in the past it’s always been a hit or miss for me when bolting on any CAI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos