Airaid or k&n ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The filter sits above that crap and keeps it out of the motor
Looks like there’s an orange filter in that box which I assume is Fram should I change it out to something nicer?

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about an Airiad tube for thecopcar. I want to retain the stock box and filter so I can replace it anywhere I travel.

ive already replaced the airbox seal using the method @iamdub used.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my current Filter Surround, i can tell you this..IF you do decide to trim some out, go small areas at a time.

i generally start with everything facing the headlight, and try to remove all diapers along the core support to allow more air at speed.

in this case, once i hacked the floor out, it idid create a noticeable dead spot in the pedal at low speed, low throttle input...i have since tuned around it, but be mindful that this can happen. this is the first instance of it in my years of doing this, but also the first one i hacked this much from

Attachments

• 20210227_163620.jpg
    20210227_163620.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 11

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well ok so last night I pulled the air box out so I could install my JDM yellow high beams and decided to open the air box up and found what looks like sand and weird leaves at the bottom of the air box!!!!! Cleaned it all out but now I’m concerned how much of that sucked into the engine

I’m curious about just saving the $350+ and Swiss cheese the box? Maybe cut out the bottom with a dremel but leave the mounting feet just say I can get a little more sound, and swap the stop tube for a airaid jr? If this is a pointless mod than I’ll just stop now

I’ll be honest in the past it’s always been a hit or miss for me when bolting on any CAI

Your throttle body is 80mm in diameter (3.15"). That's 7.74 square inches of area. I'm 100% sure that that trapezoid opening leading to the fender is larger that 7.74 square inches. It physically can NOT choke the throttle body of air. Ever tried breathing through a straw? That's a choke. Now imagine wrapping your lips around the small end of a road cone and breathing- no problem, right?

Swiss cheesing the box, cutting out the floor, etc. will only open it up to engine bay air, which is in no way, shape or form "cold".

I opened mine up to merge with the smaller oval hole below it "just cuz". If anything, I gained some sound. I'll never know cuz I did this to kill some time during my engine work, which included a cam and catless headers. So, it got loud anyway!

Marketing has people thinking that a chrome tube with gauze filter on the end means "cold" just because they call it a "cold air intake". Cold is in reference to temperature and, in this sense, is relevant to engine bay heat. There's nothing cold or even cool about that. Maybe your
"hit or miss" from a "CAI" was if you installed it during the winter or summer. :D

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well ok so last night I pulled the air box out so I could install my JDM yellow high beams and decided to open the air box up and found what looks like sand and weird leaves at the bottom of the air box!!!!! Cleaned it all out but now I’m concerned how much of that sucked into the engine

The stock filter actually isn't bad at all. It's sized how it is so that it's not a choke on the engine. It's many times the size of the TB. Not much air can flow through a single straw. But, bundle 100 of that same sized straw together and you've got some flow. You have to filter the air, and this will present a restriction due to the way a filter works. But, if you make the filter area large enough ("a lot more straws"), it won't be a restriction.

Low-quality "performance" filters create power by being less restrictive due to not being as good of a filter.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would agree with most above, with the exception that at speed, the force of the air incoming (with front or even bottom of box cut out) will keep it relatively cool. at idle, yes..it may be inhaling slightly warmer air ( not a bad thing for emissions),
but not ideal as stated for OPEN elements "being called cold air"

Xsbank

Reaction score
GM has issues with fuel consumption requirements and it has competitive issues with stated engine power. Does anyone think that their engineers would design an intake system that intentionally “throttles” engine efficiency, especially with the dinosaur engines it puts in these trucks? Do you really think that changing to a crappy aftermarket air filter or messing with the air box by cutting it up will improve anything? Wouldn’t you rather listen to your passengers or some nice music on your stereo instead of riding in a shop-vac? K and N has got your number, call it a tax on the gullible or the STP of this millennium.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288