Air tools and equipment questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do too other than the air tool area. What are the specs on your compressor Nathan? Size of the compressor will most likely determine what I get as space in my garage is limited. So I basically need something that is fairly "portable" but will get the job done.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check. I've had it for 7+ years and it works flawlessly. Craftsman of course. I've never had an issue with it not performing when I've needed it to either.

I'll look when I get home in the morning

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PSI is only part of the equation. You also have to be able to push enough air (measured in CFM). The compressor should have that listed. Just make sure you have a decent compressor. I have an IR Thundergun (great impact) and my cheapo Kobalt (http://www.lowes.com/pd_221495-1498...uctId=3115861&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1) does a pretty good job running it.

For wrenching around, small jobs, nail guns, etc... something like that kobalt will do fine. If you ever decide to start spraying cars or using things like sanders and die grinders for extended periods of time, that's when you start looking at the high dollar compressors.

good info here. Thank you sir :waytogo: That Kobalt looks nice and the advice of looking at CFM is good. I hadn't thought about that.

It may be a while before I get serious about spraying cars and stuff like that but that is on the horizon for me at some point. So maybe I'll hold off on focusing on that til a later time since I'm on limited space anyway at the moment with just a 2 car garage.

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check. I've had it for 7+ years and it works flawlessly. Craftsman of course. I've never had an issue with it not performing when I've needed it to either.

I'll look when I get home in the morning
Sounds good. :)

mfdrookie516

Reaction score
One thing to note, that's of importance to me at least. On a lot of the newer compressors today, there's no oil involved. That's one thing that led me to the Kobalt, over a lot of the other compressors in the same size and price range. With the Kobalt, I change the oil just like I would in a lawnmower, etc (Mobil 1 synthetic :) ). I've been around some of those oil-less compressors before, and they just don't last. I also picked this one because of the same issue as you... a 2 car garage (that barely fits a bicycle because of the junk) and the vertical tank just seemed like the better fit, and it's 110v, so I was able to use my existing 20a circuit instead of wiring in a 220v plug.

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do you keep your tank in the garage? Over in a corner tucked away or ??

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mines in the front corner of the garage close to the garage door. Right next to my took box and makes it able for my air hose to reach out in to the driveway.

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:hmm: Seems like a logical spot. My first tool for it will be an impact wrench but what other tools do you guys suggest that I add to my list?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
air saw (works great on door guts like your beater) and a must for a lot of stereo work
SA34.jpg

air cut off wheel
images

get yourself a good tire pressure gauge
5G8Zxdk5_EaGLNJroVRzAlmwjZkLUEtTbodvM9E8gIOJPReBPA.jpg

Air gun for blowing up kids balls/footballs/soccer/etc and for blowing off work bench and even blowing out garage
$(KGrHqJ,!g4E8jZzjnuDBPNpbLJUqQ~~60_35.jpg

mfdrookie516

Reaction score
Impact, air ratchet, hammer, die grinder... of course a good air chuck, a nozzle (get a 12" if possible... so much better than the little rubber nub). If you are a DIY'er, a finish nailer and framing nailer are really nice to have... and a palm nailer makes hammering in nails a piece of cake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE