Air tools and equipment questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to start acquiring some air tools and accessories and want some advice on what way to go. I'm wanting this for mostly working on the cars and possibly painting but don't need anything huge. what brands do you recommend and what size compressor would you suggest?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome:

I moved your post to the Garage section. It's to "Discuss tools and everything else that happens in the garage."

Hopefully someone will be able to help you (in the correct section) shortly

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of my stuff is Craftsman from Sears. I'd strongly recommend getting them from Sears (Craftsman), Lowes (Cobalt) or something with a lifetime warranty.

I do have a few things from Harbor Freight, but those aren't tools I trust my life with like jack stands and stuff. Just cheap misc tools

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome:

I moved your post to the Garage section. It's to "Discuss tools and everything else that happens in the garage."

Hopefully someone will be able to help you (in the correct section) shortly

:happy175: my bad, I'll find my way around this forum someday :lol:

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A mod moving another mods post........

Lol

Don't forget Ridgid at Home Depot. I have a lot off stuff from all three

HD
Lowe's
Sears

mfdrookie516

Reaction score
Hard to beat Ingresol Rand air tools IMO. Make sure that you have an air compressor that will put out enough air, and check the power of the impact before you buy it (ie ft/lbs torque).

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of my stuff is Craftsman from Sears. I'd strongly recommend getting them from Sears (Craftsman), Lowes (Cobalt) or something with a lifetime warranty.

I do have a few things from Harbor Freight, but those aren't tools I trust my life with like jack stands and stuff. Just cheap misc tools

I'm thinking about going craftsman, too. that's what all my sockets are because of the lifetime warranty. Someone else I know did recommend Harbor Freight air tools, though :hmm:

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to beat Ingresol Rand air tools IMO. Make sure that you have an air compressor that will put out enough air, and check the power of the impact before you buy it (ie ft/lbs torque).
...and that's one of my questions. how do I know if the compressor I'm getting is good enough? is a 150 psi max compressor good enough for the usual wrenching on the rides and possibly painting a vehicle in the future?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about going craftsman, too. that's what all my sockets are because of the lifetime warranty. Someone else I know did recommend Harbor Freight air tools, though :hmm:

95% of my stuff is Craftsman. It just last forever. I've been getting tools for gifts other misc times from my father (mechanic) since I was about 14. I've got pretty much any tool I need that could be used in a normal persons garage.

mfdrookie516

Reaction score
PSI is only part of the equation. You also have to be able to push enough air (measured in CFM). The compressor should have that listed. Just make sure you have a decent compressor. I have an IR Thundergun (great impact) and my cheapo Kobalt (http://www.lowes.com/pd_221495-1498...uctId=3115861&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1) does a pretty good job running it.

For wrenching around, small jobs, nail guns, etc... something like that kobalt will do fine. If you ever decide to start spraying cars or using things like sanders and die grinders for extended periods of time, that's when you start looking at the high dollar compressors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne