Air ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hargett88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 03 yukon with air ride . The back was replaced with regular shocks but the front still has air an the compressor doesn't work which has got the truck riding awful.. what do I need to do to make it ride smoth?

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An Yucon 03 with air-ride has front air-ride dampers?
Are you sure? Even the Escalade hast only air-ride in the back as level control.

It can be confusing, because the GMT has torsion bars in the front instead of springs.

I guess you have magnetic ride, which is combined with air-ride, when you find a wire harness and connectors at the front dampers.

If you still have magnetic ride in the front, but normal damper in the rear, additional other problems, like wear out dampers, problems in the suspension and/or bad alignment, your ride will be not satisfying..

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As already stated, there is a difference in AutoRide, which varies the dampening rate of the shocks, and AutoLevel, which uses airbags in the rear shocks to level the vehicle. They are separate systems.

Do you know if the rear springs were replaced when the rear air shocks were swapped out? If I’m not mistaken, you need different rear springs if you go with regular shocks.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^x2^^^ When you downgrade the rear suspension from air ride to passive shocks, you MUST change the springs as well. The air ride springs are softer, as the air ride portion of the shock takes some of the weight off the rear of the truck during driving.

There is no air ride in the front shocks. You may have electric wires going into the front shocks to automatically adjust the damping rate of the shocks (if you do, then you should have a Z55 RPO code), and if you do, you should remove the wires and put resistors in line with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM