Air-Ride failures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

docster

Reaction score
I'm curious. Does anyone know what fails when the air ride fails? Is it more shocks or the compressor. If it's the compressor, is it a certain part of it?

I ask as mine has gone kaputz. I have other types of air compressor systems fail before and it's always something cheap to fix, like a few seals or a line here or there. But always a how to to repair.

Do these compressors have a weak spot specific that can be repaired. Or are we just sol and either buy new 800 compressor or bypass (which I just did to prevent burn out)?

I am considering tearing it apart to see if it's fixable.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
I'm curious. Does anyone know what fails when the air ride fails? Is it more shocks or the compressor. If it's the compressor, is it a certain part of it?

I ask as mine has gone kaputz. I have other types of air compressor systems fail before and it's always something cheap to fix, like a few seals or a line here or there. But always a how to to repair.

Do these compressors have a weak spot specific that can be repaired. Or are we just sol and either buy new 800 compressor or bypass (which I just did to prevent burn out)?

I am considering tearing it apart to see if it's fixable.

Compressors usually fail due to a leaking air/bag/strut. The compressor continuoulsly runs to keep the bag inflated. This burns the compressor out. Compressors are non-serviceable. I've done compressors on Mercedes
Airmatic equipped vehicles and the bag and compressor was over $5K.

Find the leaking bag (becuase the is one) and then replace the compressor.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually its both. The rear air shocks develop a tear which cause the compressor to run alot more. That in turn causes premature failure. The compressor will get very loud which is a sign it is on its way out. There are a few places to find replacement parts. One place is Arnott Industries where you can get rear shocks and compressor for under $600. You can change them yourself if you have some mechanical skills. People either love it or hate it. You can also buy a kit to bypass the autoride. It includes a module to prevent any warning lights on the dash.

dub02gpgt

dub
Reaction score
+1 for Arnott. I had 3 of 4 shocks with leaks/tears and my pump also failed. I believe they have a deal on the whole kit too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn