Air Ride Adaptive Suspension failure in cold climates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ND Airstream

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A new member thankful for the wisdom of this group. I have a '21 Yukon AT4 with ~11K miles. Initially, problems manifest as "service leveling system" and inability to adjust height of ride. First trip to dealer during minus zero weather - no resolution as it was "showing no codes" at time and suspension control started responding again with a software update. Week later (still around 0 degrees), same message came back with additional control (DSC?) related messages including something about engine combustion - dealer captured all codes sent me home (suspension still had air but would not adjust/inflate) with a new appointment for addition overnight diagnosis. Two days later (before the appointment and still seasonably frigid for January in North Dakota), total suspension failure on the front - front tires bowed in - virtually like riding on a steel wheeled steam tractor. Service advisor now says needs a total system rebuild - laundry list of parts. Been waiting for parts for almost two weeks - no ETA on parts - no loaner from the dealer to add insult. Most concerning - it is parked in a dealer storage lot a mile away from the dealership with roughly 8 or 9 other '21's in very similar (deflated) condition some lower than others and some without full front tire tread after driving to the dealer - I am concerned that the wait could be significant and that the fix is adequate. Anyone have any intel on an engineered fix and/or availability of these parts? Looks like these units weren't ready for the cold.yukon trouble 22.jpg

Canoedude

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m in same boat. 3 weeks and counting waiting for parts. I’m in north too….if you are up north don’t get air ride….ordered a new rig. Dmax. Regular suspension

OP
OP
N

ND Airstream

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - misery loves company. I’ll be close to three weeks soon and still no ETA on parts. Called multiple Northern dealers. Nobody has any and some of the new rigs are requiring fixes before they hit the lot. I used to be able to check up on whether it moved (with the app) but now it has completely died - probably fitting that the battery would fail in 3 weeks. My 11th Yukon/Tahoe/Sub will be my last.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like Ram's air suspension had some problems in the cold as well -- blamed on condensation freezing in the compressor/lines. Did the dealers give you folks any idea what failed or was causing the problem?

Came across this page with a good description of the air system : GM Techlink

Hope they have a solution for you other than replacing parts that will have the same issue in the future. So far my At4 has been in below zero temps a couple times without issue.

Canoedude

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dealer hasn’t given me any insight as to “why”. Big trucks have robust air dryers with a manual dump valve. Feel like it would be prudent on these. Mine happened after crazy temp swing. (30 to -20 overnight). I imagine that’s why. Something froze and broke. They need to submit these trucks to the extremes of the north and south before making Guinea pigs of us.

I’m going to buy another. Call me stupid but it does everything I need it to. Expy doesn’t. Land cruiser doesn’t. I think getting 3.0 and regular suspension will be the key at this point

Lesson learned on being an early adopter for cars…

txchevy4ever

Reaction score
Air ride has always been a problem in the great majority of GM products. I owned it once and would never do so again. They never sit level, they never are in alignment and are not worth it. Get mag ride and avoid the air ride.

robhotdog

Reaction score
Dealer hasn’t given me any insight as to “why”. Big trucks have robust air dryers with a manual dump valve. Feel like it would be prudent on these. Mine happened after crazy temp swing. (30 to -20 overnight). I imagine that’s why. Something froze and broke. They need to submit these trucks to the extremes of the north and south before making Guinea pigs of us.

I’m going to buy another. Call me stupid but it does everything I need it to. Expy doesn’t. Land cruiser doesn’t. I think getting 3.0 and regular suspension will be the key at this point

Lesson learned on being an early adopter for cars…
The reason big trucks have air dryers is because most of the trucks systems are air controlled! Brakes! They also have to add alchohol to their systems in extreme conditions.

Pertzbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2015 Ram with air.. worked fine for 4 years. Started having problems and then it became more frequent. Bit the bullet and had it all tore out and replaced with regular shocks and coils. $1,500 for the option up front and another $2,800 to remove it all 4 years later. Never again.