air bags or stiffer springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found I need either to upgrade my rear suspension to use airbags or go to stiffer springs to handle the load I put on it. When I have heavy loads, the rear sags. I have a 4" lift with spacers under the coil springs for the ride height.
I think I should be OK to use airbags with my current setup. The one thing I am not sure about is how well these airbags will hold up when I am off-roading. Does anyone here have experience using airbags with their coils and off-roading?
The other thought I had was to get longer and stiffer springs so I could remove the spacer and they can handle heavier loads, but the downside would be a stiffer ride when there is not a load.
Currently, I am leaning toward airbags, but I want to know how well these will hold up while offroading.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that air bags would be better, as they provide more flexibility in adjusting for loads and no loads.
Thanks! I am thinking that way, too. Just not sure how durable they are if the rear suspension flexes a lot off-road. I am considering the Firestone airbags

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found I need either to upgrade my rear suspension to use airbags or go to stiffer springs to handle the load I put on it. When I have heavy loads, the rear sags. I have a 4" lift with spacers under the coil springs for the ride height.
I think I should be OK to use airbags with my current setup. The one thing I am not sure about is how well these airbags will hold up when I am off-roading. Does anyone here have experience using airbags with their coils and off-roading?
The other thought I had was to get longer and stiffer springs so I could remove the spacer and they can handle heavier loads, but the downside would be a stiffer ride when there is not a load.
Currently, I am leaning toward airbags, but I want to know how well these will hold up while offroading.
I would go with airbags. You can adjust them to level your load as needed. I’d get one with internal jounce stops. They will help protect your bags when they’re re not fully aired up. Also, when you plumb them up, resist the urge to have them tee’d together with a single fill valve. Keep them separated from each other.

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have had bags before,leaf spring truck.They take the load off of the suspension for longer life.
No idea about off road though,assuming you would let air out so springs can do the work.

mrpeterclark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go with airbags. You can adjust them to level your load as needed. I’d get one with internal jounce stops. They will help protect your bags when they’re re not fully aired up. Also, when you plumb them up, resist the urge to have them tee’d together with a single fill valve. Keep them separated from each other.
I use air ride air bags in mine. they do fine off-road although they tend to loose air, and I have had the air hose pop off one of the bags before. I am using 2" lift dobinson springs. Just order the air bags that fit your inner diameter and lenght of your springs.
Baseline Overland GMC Yukon XL Roof Rack Winch Bumper 8.JPG

Swanbird11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check out this video. Not a chevy but same idea.

Not sure if you are wanting to just put bags inside your existing coil or doing a full coil delete and bag swap...
For a bag swap, I think getting a Carli long travel bag set would be ideal for offroading. But that means just ordering replacement bags and making your own brackets. Which would be a pretty sweet setup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out this video. Not a chevy but same idea.

Not sure if you are wanting to just put bags inside your existing coil or doing a full coil delete and bag swap...
For a bag swap, I think getting a Carli long travel bag set would be ideal for offroading. But that means just ordering replacement bags and making your own brackets. Which would be a pretty sweet setup.
Interesting concept. The cost of this system is high. If you ever lose air, it seems like you are SOL. I think I would like to see more trial-and-error for others before investing in something like this. Bags in coils is what I am trying.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use air ride air bags in mine. they do fine off-road although they tend to loose air, and I have had the air hose pop off one of the bags before. I am using 2" lift dobinson springs. Just order the air bags that fit your inner diameter and lenght of your springs.
View attachment 391376
Thanks!
I was wondering if a hose pop-off would occur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal