air bags or stiffer springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm lowered and my springs are a touch soft at times. I have Air Lift bags that have been in place since the drop in December of 2019. I would keep around 6-7 PSI in them at all times and add a little more when towing or carrying heavy cargo. I towed a small trailer with a 1,000 lb load in 2020 with about 12 PSI in the bags. I never let the air back out and, over two years later when I upgraded my sway bars, I checked the pressure and it was down to 7 PSI. I'd say a 5 PSI loss over two years is plenty acceptable.

Lowered versus lifted is irrelevant. As @mrpeterclark mentioned, just get bags that fit the inside diameter and height of your springs. They'll hold up just fine for years. When off-roading, I'd say the chances of damage, like from a stick or something, are greater. But, still, it'd have to hit "just right" and poke between the coils.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did get airbags to put inside my coil springs. I got a kit from AirBag Man out of Australia where that includes a kevlar-type sleeve to help protect the bags. They claim that the bags can be aired up to twice the pressure with the sleeves on than without. I'll probably never air my bags up that high, but having the sleeve on should help protect them. It was kind of expensive to ship to the US but wanted to give these a go.

The size of the bags was built for a Tahoe that has not been lifted. I had to create a spacer to put inside the coil so that bag can sit against something on the bottom. I decided to use a splitter and connect the two bags to one air valve. Unfortunately, I have a leak somewhere near the bags that I have not been able to track down yet. I'll have to lower my axle again to check the connection at the bags. When I do that, I'll likely go from a single air valve that airs both to do them individually. I am not completely sold on the airbags yet, but still giving them a try.
I also swapped out my coil springs to Skyjacker CS50R mainly because I wanted to be rid of the coil spacers. I have noticed these springs are a bit stiffer than the Moogs I had on, and they also sit about an inch higher than the coil-spacer setup I had giving the Tahoe a bit of a rake. The additional height and stiffness of the springs should help with heavier loads. This might even negate any need for airbags and having to deal with any unreliability with holding air. We'll see.

Attachments

• PXL_20230212_165105220.jpg
    PXL_20230212_165105220.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 4

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was going to mention getting some sumosprings in-place of the stock rear jounces for your off-road but it looks like you're already compensating with the square steel riser. Do you know how far away those stock jounces are before adding load?

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was going to mention getting some sumosprings in-place of the stock rear jounces for your off-road but it looks like you're already compensating with the square steel riser. Do you know how far away those stock jounces are before adding load?
The picture is with the rig sitting on the ground with no additional load other than its weight, so the distance you see in the pic is where it is without load. It's about 4" between the jounce and the riser.
I was looking at Summosprings recently and have been considering them! I may look at getting their coil spring set, but their jounce replacement may be an option, too.

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This below the jounce bump-stop on the axle isn't stock, is it? I was looking to make a set of these..

PXL_20230212_165105220.jpg

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much weight are you putting on your tongue now with the 4" lift? I'm 2.5" up front and 1.5" in the rear on the XL with fresh magride and auto level pushing air in the rear. Ended up swapping in the sumo springs a couple days ago and took the 32' travel trailer for a test drive just on the ball and they made a big difference. The brake lines run next to where they squash the axle though so going to install 2"x1" energy bumps on the axle for them to push against... The sumos 1.3" taller than the stock jounce rubbers so I should be close to stock distance. Wish I'd have installed them before the tail pipe got pinched by the panhard.

IMG_20230215_171551_671.jpg

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much weight are you putting on your tongue now with the 4" lift? I'm 2.5" up front and 1.5" in the rear on the XL with fresh magride and auto level pushing air in the rear. Ended up swapping in the sumo springs a couple days ago and took the 32' travel trailer for a test drive just on the ball and they made a big difference. The brake lines run next to where they squash the axle though so going to install 2"x1" energy bumps on the axle for them to push against... The sumos 1.3" taller than the stock jounce rubbers so I should be close to stock distance. Wish I'd have installed them before the tail pipe got pinched by the panhard.

View attachment 392314
I am putting on about 500 lbs max at the tongue when the trailer is fully loaded. The Sumo bump-stop replacements are going to be way too short for my rig. There will be about 3" air gap with those installed and that will be a lot of sag in the rear before the stop makes contact with the rear. So I am looking at their custom springs that I think I can mount to my axel brackets. I am also considering the Sumos for coil springs, too. I'm not sure if the combination of the two will give too harsh of a ride when not towing though.

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they're only about 5.5" tall. The springs you're talking about go in the bump stop location? Think I've seen the 3 1/2 ton setup on youtube if that's what you're referring to.

You using a weight distributing hitch?

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they're only about 5.5" tall. The springs you're talking about go in the bump stop location? Think I've seen the 3 1/2 ton setup on youtube if that's what you're referring to.

You using a weight distributing hitch?
Its what they call the builder kit
These won't fit in the OEM mount for the bump stops, but I am thinking I can mount it to the axel bracket I got from BDS, and then omit the OEM bump stop.

I am not using a weight distribution hitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues