Air Bag recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Service depts...:nolol:
Because of a careless, stupid service dept, my brand new 94 Explorer had to get completely repainted--had under 2000 miles on it. It went in for something small and they kept messing it up and scratching it. It was blue too. I have other horror stories. I just wish those guys would treat customer's cars as if it was their own.

Last edited:

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How the f do you split oil in the cowl?

Well I was told they had the hose in the oil tube to fill it and it fell out and oil got pumped into the cowl? Got me but it sure made a mess once the wipers were turned on in the rain and smeared that crap everywhere! LOL.

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Service depts...:nolol:
Because of a careless, stupid service dept, my brand new 94 Explorer had to get completely repainted--had under 2000 miles on it. It went in for something small and they kept messing it up and scratching it. It was blue too. I have other horror stories. I just wish those guys would treat customer's cars as if it was their own.

The saddest part about all this is that I WORK at the dealership that screwed this up! Not good and yet I had to restrain from dragging the oil change punk out back and flogging him! Need that health insurance still! :-{

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The saddest part about all this is that I WORK at the dealership that screwed this up! Not good and yet I had to restrain from dragging the oil change punk out back and flogging him! Need that health insurance still! :-{
They could at least have cleaned it up.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking. I would have taken it back and made them remove the damn cowl and do a full hazmat cleanup under there. That’s where your fresh air comes from for the hvac and breathing that stuff over time could lead to health issues. I’m sure it smelled inside the truck.

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Exactly what I was thinking. I would have taken it back and made them remove the damn cowl and do a full hazmat cleanup under there. That’s where your fresh air comes from for the hvac and breathing that stuff over time could lead to health issues. I’m sure it smelled inside the truck.

Trust me I drove right back to the service drive and had the service manager come look at the mess and he blew his stack. I could hear him yelling at the oil change punk from the other end of the building! They cleaned and cleaned and cleaned until I could not longer see or smell oil!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE

There will be a long time for parts.....Takata is not really interested in fixing this.
GM is now in the process, I have an appointment in a few days to have the one in my 08 Silverado replaced. Parts are not coming from Takata, they’re bankrupt.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So has anyone actually verified how they get the airbag out? Many have said from underneath or thru the dash. Other have said out the top. Can someone who works at a dealer verify how they actually do it?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So has anyone actually verified how they get the airbag out? Many have said from underneath or thru the dash. Other have said out the top. Can someone who works at a dealer verify how they actually do it?
I have pulled mine out a couple times when I swapped my interior including the dash to an LTZ. You just drop the glovebox door down by pushing in on the tab on the right. That lets you remove the (2) 10 mm bolts that secure the airbag, and then you reach up with your fingers to the underside of the dash to release the tabs around the perimeter of the airbag cover one by one as you push up on the airbag module and it comes out the top. The cover gets switched onto the new airbag, then you put the assembly into the dash and slightly push down as it snaps into the dash, then install the bolts. And of course unplug and re plug the wire harness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne