Air Bag recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caligirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, clueless here again haha...is anything affected in the ECM when work done on airbags? Going to send our ECM to LT1swap to get AFM deleted ASAP and their website says: "GM Sometimes has new software for your vehicle, including some recalls for emissions. If you take your vehicle in for a recall that involves reprogramming the ECM, they will overwrite the AFM Delete programming I do."

Is airbag recall work purely mechanical and involve any "reset" on the ECM?

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, clueless here again haha...is anything affected in the ECM when work done on airbags? Going to send our ECM to LT1swap to get AFM deleted ASAP and their website says: "GM Sometimes has new software for your vehicle, including some recalls for emissions. If you take your vehicle in for a recall that involves reprogramming the ECM, they will overwrite the AFM Delete programming I do."

A day late, I could have asked when they replaced my AB on Thursday. Sorry.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It has nothing to do with the ECM. You’re good.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have pulled mine out a couple times when I swapped my interior including the dash to an LTZ. You just drop the glovebox door down by pushing in on the tab on the right. That lets you remove the (2) 10 mm bolts that secure the airbag, and then you reach up with your fingers to the underside of the dash to release the tabs around the perimeter of the airbag cover one by one as you push up on the airbag module and it comes out the top. The cover gets switched onto the new airbag, then you put the assembly into the dash and slightly push down as it snaps into the dash, then install the bolts. And of course unplug and re plug the wire harness.

Interesting, thanks. My local dealer said any trade-in's with an open airbag recall are going straight to auction......

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I haven't received a notice/letter in the mail but when I go to the site it shows parts available.

I called the dealer I bought the truck from the other day and they said no remedy available yet.

I called the dealer closer to my house today and they said they have parts and I can schedule to have it done next week.

They also told me they aren't responsible for anything that happens to the dash and they won't be replacing it if it cracks.

Mine has one small crack at the left top corner of the passenger airbag cover.

I asked if they can do it from below or if it must be changed from up top, he said it depends on the dash. I assume he means LTZ or non LTZ dash.

I have heard conflicting reports as well as to how it comes out.

I know that the inflator is the actual problem but I am not sure if the whole air bag gets changed or if the inflator is a separate part that can be changed.

If it is just the inflator then I have read that it can be swapped from below without removing the airbag cover from up top.

I am hesitant to leave my truck at the dealership. I don't trust anyone to work on my vehicles without my supervision.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't received a notice/letter in the mail but when I go to the site it shows parts available.

I called the dealer I bought the truck from the other day and they said no remedy available yet.

I called the dealer closer to my house today and they said they have parts and I can schedule to have it done next week.

They also told me they aren't responsible for anything that happens to the dash and they won't be replacing it if it cracks.

Mine has one small crack at the left top corner of the passenger airbag cover.

I asked if they can do it from below or if it must be changed from up top, he said it depends on the dash. I assume he means LTZ or non LTZ dash.

I have heard conflicting reports as well as to how it comes out.

I know that the inflator is the actual problem but I am not sure if the whole air bag gets changed or if the inflator is a separate part that can be changed.

If it is just the inflator then I have read that it can be swapped from below without removing the airbag cover from up top.

I am hesitant to leave my truck at the dealership. I don't trust anyone to work on my vehicles without my supervision.
My Silverado started with an LT interior. I swapped it out to an LTZ interior including the entire dash and dash sub assembly. The airbag was interchangeable although I don’t remember if the cover was. I swapped the cover from the donor vehicle onto my airbag but iirc it was because I was concerned about an exact color match. And also of note- the LTZ dash I installed was from a Tahoe, and they both come out from the top. I also pulled the airbag at least once when the dash was an LT and was cracked right there by it and had no issue with cracking it more. IMO you have less chance of cracking the dash if you pull it all the way out because regardless of if you replace just the inflator or the entire airbag, I’m almost 100% sure you have to pull the 10mm bolts that hold it in and once you do that it’s still attached to the dash so if you start moving it around that’s when you’ll crack the dash. I held mine from underneath and unsnapped the cover, lifting the whole thing out from the top.

Edit: if it was me, I would pull the assembly out to work on it, it’s much easier than it would be to try to work on it from underneath but who knows how they do it.

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My parents and I got our letters last week. I called the dealer from whom they bought their Yukon yesterday to get an appointment set up, and they said they would call back when they checked availability on the bags. They called me back today, and we set up an appointment for tomorrow to get both vehicles done. Evidently, they actually have the parts on hand now. Hopefully, both vehicles get done tomorrow.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had mine replaced about 2 weeks ago at my work (chevy dealer) it was pretty fast and easy to just do the passenger side bag.
@Drok did you wait or did you have to leave it for a half day or whatever. My appointment is tomorrow at 8am and I’m wondering if I’m gonna need a ride home and back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2