AFM/DFM on 2022 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garth Knight

Reaction score
Anyone able to chime in about AFM/DFM and lifter failure? I'm hoping it can be disabled if it will prevent lifter failure. Oh and for the record my window sticker says 6.2L ECOTECH V8. No mention about the AFM/DFM.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone able to chime in about AFM/DFM and lifter failure? I'm hoping it can be disabled if it will prevent lifter failure. Oh and for the record my window sticker says 6.2L ECOTECH V8. No mention about the AFM/DFM.
You are opening a Pandora’s box with this question.

Facts as I know them:
1) In late 2021, GM admitted there was a date range of engines built with potentially faulty lifters in early 2021
2) GM never recalled these engines, but did have some actions related to them, including asking dealers to replace both banks of lifters on any vehicle not yet sold which fell in the date range, replacing both banks on a customer vehicle in the date range if a failure occurred in less than 8k miles (May have been increased to 16k at some point?), and increasing power train warranty to 100k miles on customer vehicles that failed.
3) Some small number of people have had lifter failures more than once.
4) Most people have not had any lifter failures
5) Some vehicles outside the specified date range from GM have had lifter failures (believed to be small number)
6) GM has been using a version of these lifters since AFM appeared in 2009, and has had some of these lifters fail dating back that far. But now instead of them being on 4 of the 8 cylinders (AFM), they are on all 8 cylinders (DFM)
7) There is no known way to “disable permanently” the DFM in the current generation 5.3 and 6.2 L engines, given how locked down the ECU now is. And it is unclear, without a mechanical delete (replacing the collapsible lifters with non collapsible lifters) that there would be an increase in reliability.

Now, what all that means to long term reliability, none of us know. We all have 5 year, 60k mile power train warranty to find out.

Note, I owned a 2013 Suburban with AFM which gave me 115k trouble free miles. It was maintained by the maintenance schedule in the owners manual.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sticker also has no mention of DFM but i still got it.

Unless your sticker says DFM delete you got it…

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are opening a Pandora’s box with this question.

Facts as I know them:
1) In late 2021, GM admitted there was a date range of engines built with potentially faulty lifters in early 2021
2) GM never recalled these engines, but did have some actions related to them, including asking dealers to replace both banks of lifters on any vehicle not yet sold which fell in the date range, replacing both banks on a customer vehicle in the date range if a failure occurred in less than 8k miles (May have been increased to 16k at some point?), and increasing power train warranty to 100k miles on customer vehicles that failed.
3) Some small number of people have had lifter failures more than once.
4) Most people have not had any lifter failures
5) Some vehicles outside the specified date range from GM have had lifter failures (believed to be small number)
6) GM has been using a version of these lifters since AFM appeared in 2009, and has had some of these lifters fail dating back that far. But now instead of them being on 4 of the 8 cylinders (AFM), they are on all 8 cylinders (DFM)
7) There is no known way to “disable permanently” the DFM in the current generation 5.3 and 6.2 L engines, given how locked down the ECU now is. And it is unclear, without a mechanical delete (replacing the collapsible lifters with non collapsible lifters) that there would be an increase in reliability.

Now, what all that means to long term reliability, none of us know. We all have 5 year, 60k mile power train warranty to find out.

Note, I owned a 2013 Suburban with AFM which gave me 115k trouble free miles. It was maintained by the maintenance schedule in the owners manual.
>> We all have 5 year, 60k mile power train warranty to find out. <<
My new 2022 Tahoe that I waited nearly a year to get only came with a 3 year, 36K mile power train warranty.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For real? If that's correct, that is total BS. I would also go so far as to say it's a cover up to lower warranty costs they know will be there possibly for all the above mentioned concerns. It's not enough to charge 80K for a new truck, but you get 2 years of average use out of it and then on to customer pay rates? FOR EVERYTHING?

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new 2022 Tahoe that I waited nearly a year to get only came with a 3 year, 36K mile power train warranty.
Are you sure? My 23 i picked up 2 weeks ago has 3/36k bumper to bumper warranty and 5/60k drivetrain warranty. I would double check with your dealer.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure all GM Passenger Vehicles have a 3/36 Bumper to Bumper, a 5/60 Powertrain, a 6/72 on Airbags and Seatbelts, 6/100k for rust through, and and 8/80 or 7/70 On Emissions (depending on where you are).
See Chevrolet.com and search under warranty under the support section (linked for your covenience)....or check the warranty pamphlet in your owners manual package in the glove box.
Excerpt below:

1666187295013.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518