Advice on buying a used RV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Big Mama

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. This forum is always good for different perspectives, which is what I’m after. All good points and I’ll check out the RV forums. We’re thinking MH so we can move about during long days on the road and so the babies (2 Shitzus) can come as well as having our own stuff with us.

Our house in Mexico is on a beach so we have to consider the roads and access. Which also means if something breaks down there I need to be able to find parts and fix it, hmmm. Lots to think about. Keep it coming please.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had wanted to to a class c Mercedes/sprinter type chassis. as size would be manageable still and they seem to get about the same milage as a suburban anyway. reliability seems to be there with as many are delivery type, just not sure on price

but i could be way off so ehh??

in my price range i want to do a toy hauler or build one from an enclosed trailer so i can take my wing, and mybe her bike. we could base camp from it but due to some pain issues she has ( or weather) we could still unhook and just take the truck if needed.

OP
OP
Big Mama

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thinking Bigdog, mileage is something to consider. We’re about 2300 miles from the place in MX so every mile costs us. If we could do a towable we’d probably go that route for shorter, easier trips but that’d mean another rig to tow with. Please keep it coming.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thinking Bigdog, mileage is something to consider. We’re about 2300 miles from the place in MX so every mile costs us. If we could do a towable we’d probably go that route for shorter, easier trips but that’d mean another rig to tow with. Please keep it coming.

Another thought is you could keep the RV out west and just drive out and back then tow the trailer once there. Or drive if an RV.

Some have found it cheaper to keep a small car or something at a second home, ( or somewhere that someone let's them keep it) and fly and drive your second car .

Others that have a second home and or a second car is to have the two seperate places and drive a rental back and forth, they find it cheaper, usually better on fuel depending on what they own, and keeps miles and maintenance off thier own vehicles.

OP
OP
Big Mama

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good points again. We’ve got an old Camry we may leave in MX that’s so beat up no one would steal it...........I hope.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good points again. We’ve got an old Camry we may leave in MX that’s so beat up no one would steal it...........I hope.
CAMRY! ON A GM BOARD!! BAN HIM!!! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!

:) :bleh:

I did the spare car thing with a Pontiac I used to own. It does work. The only real catch is that the battery may be dead. The other thing to keep in mind is that if I am remembering correctly, Mexico still uses leaded gasoline, which could be bad for the Catalytic Converter.

Another thing to consider.. You could always do the "America rents RV" thing. Couldnt go to Mexico with it.. But could rent as you need, and not worry about maintenance, or upkeep. Someone elses problem.

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I neat idea might be to rent one for a trip and get a feel for what it's like.

OP
OP
Big Mama

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CAMRY! ON A GM BOARD!! BAN HIM!!! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!

:) :bleh:

I did the spare car thing with a Pontiac I used to own. It does work. The only real catch is that the battery may be dead. The other thing to keep in mind is that if I am remembering correctly, Mexico still uses leaded gasoline, which could be bad for the Catalytic Converter.

Another thing to consider.. You could always do the "America rents RV" thing. Couldnt go to Mexico with it.. But could rent as you need, and not worry about maintenance, or upkeep. Someone elses problem.

more good points and something to consider. Mexico, at least on the Baja side has unleaded fuel but it’s not very good. I add stabilizer to every quad, gas can, and truck.

OP
OP
Big Mama

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I neat idea might be to rent one for a trip and get a feel for what it's like.
I’m going to look really hard at this for a trip we take in the US. We’re going to MX in late September and plan to take my wife’s RAV4 so there’s no rush. I’ve been looking on CL all over the country and Arizona has an abundance of RVs so I’m going to check some out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011