Advice on best method to sell or part out 2000 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HardyHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I could really use some advice on the best method to sell or part out my 2000 Silverado WT, Reg cab, LWB, 2WD, 4.8L V8, manual windows, new automatic transmission, 3 piece cloth bench seat, vinyl floor.

It has the wide diameter drive shaft that some has already offered $200 buck for.

The hood is damaged from a limb but it has always run great. Other than the transmission issue 2 years ago (put a new trans in it) I have never had any problems.

Does any have an auction site or place to list that they can recommend? I would be driving it but while it was parked at brothers barn his workers helped themselves to the radio and fuses.

Any thoughts are honestly appreciated! Thanks guys!

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine and transmission, even the 4.8 and four speed would sell pretty decent. A non-rusted cab and bed would sell really good in my area too. Best way to sell these days is Facebook Marketplace in my area. Ebay is is OK for smaller stuff if you stay under $600 and that place really gets a lot of looks for stuff. Craigslist is about the last resort, but I've had some good results with that too.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could really use some advice on the best method to sell or part out my 2000 Silverado WT, Reg cab, LWB, 2WD, 4.8L V8, manual windows, new automatic transmission, 3 piece cloth bench seat, vinyl floor.

It has the wide diameter drive shaft that some has already offered $200 buck for.

The hood is damaged from a limb but it has always run great. Other than the transmission issue 2 years ago (put a new trans in it) I have never had any problems.

Does any have an auction site or place to list that they can recommend? I would be driving it but while it was parked at brothers barn his workers helped themselves to the radio and fuses.

Any thoughts are honestly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Where are you located? That's the main thing. For the whole truck, Ebay is okay, but I've had good luck with craigslist. Some areas on CL are run over by scammers and people who waste your time.

If you part it out, it will take a lot of time. I usually will sell whole, even if it has issues. Make sure you replace the fuses and get it running. A running truck will sell faster and for more money than a parts truck.

There will probably be somebody out there just looking for an old beater to use on their farm or some such. I wouldn't bother with the radio. You may sell it to a kid looking for their first truck and they want to put a "system" in it so the radio would come out anyway.

OP
OP
H

HardyHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where are you located? That's the main thing. For the whole truck, Ebay is okay, but I've had good luck with craigslist. Some areas on CL are run over by scammers and people who waste your time.

If you part it out, it will take a lot of time. I usually will sell whole, even if it has issues. Make sure you replace the fuses and get it running. A running truck will sell faster and for more money than a parts truck.

There will probably be somebody out there just looking for an old beater to use on their farm or some such. I wouldn't bother with the radio. You may sell it to a kid looking for their first truck and they want to put a "system" in it so the radio would come out anyway.
Thank you for the info. I’m about 1 hour east of Mobile, Alabama so, I think I’ll check the CL pages to gauge the post. Also, there is a tri-county publication in every gas station that has always been reputable (no crypto methods for getting rich, etc.). I now have a plan and the first steps. Thanks again!

OP
OP
H

HardyHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The engine and transmission, even the 4.8 and four speed would sell pretty decent. A non-rusted cab and bed would sell really good in my area too. Best way to sell these days is Facebook Marketplace in my area. Ebay is is OK for smaller stuff if you stay under $600 and that place really gets a lot of looks for stuff. Craigslist is about the last resort, but I've had some good results with that too.
You’re right, The Marketplace I think they call it? I wasn’t even thinking about Facebook but, it probably would yield maximum exposure & limit the chance of shady dealings? I appreciate you mentioning that! Thank you!

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I’m about 1 hour east of Mobile, Alabama so, I think I’ll check the CL pages to gauge the post. Also, there is a tri-county publication in every gas station that has always been reputable (no crypto methods for getting rich, etc.). I now have a plan and the first steps. Thanks again!

There is a magazine called "Auto RV" up here but I don't know if they go down as far as you are. The kids husband is based in Gulfport Ms. If your truck is rust free, it may sell pretty well up north.

One place you can try selling it is right here. I had a 2000 Escalade I sold to a fellow up in northern Ohio. It replaced a 2wd Tahoe that was eat up with rust. The last I heard, his wife was happy with it, and the price was better than what was for sale up there.

What I would suggest is to take LOT'S of pictures. In and out, top to bottom. I've also bought trucks down in Kentucky that were pretty solid. I take videos going all around the truck. Especially underneath to show any rust. I'm right on the edge of the rust belt. 50 miles north and cars dissolve. 50 miles south you get surface patina.

I had a '95 Silverado I fixed up and a guy came down from Indianapolis to buy it. He's been search for a solid one like it for a couple of years. What sold it was the video. You can post the video on YouTube and then put a link to it in the ad.

Unless it's been flooded or you run it on the beach a lot, your truck ought to be pretty solid. I'd sell it whole and just tell a prospective buyer why it doesn't run. Titles are erratic but if you have a clean and clear title, that helps a lot. Clear means no liens against it. Clean means no brands like "submerged" or "rebuilt".

OP
OP
H

HardyHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is a magazine called "Auto RV" up here but I don't know if they go down as far as you are. The kids husband is based in Gulfport Ms. If your truck is rust free, it may sell pretty well up north.

One place you can try selling it is right here. I had a 2000 Escalade I sold to a fellow up in northern Ohio. It replaced a 2wd Tahoe that was eat up with rust. The last I heard, his wife was happy with it, and the price was better than what was for sale up there.

What I would suggest is to take LOT'S of pictures. In and out, top to bottom. I've also bought trucks down in Kentucky that were pretty solid. I take videos going all around the truck. Especially underneath to show any rust. I'm right on the edge of the rust belt. 50 miles north and cars dissolve. 50 miles south you get surface patina.

I had a '95 Silverado I fixed up and a guy came down from Indianapolis to buy it. He's been search for a solid one like it for a couple of years. What sold it was the video. You can post the video on YouTube and then put a link to it in the ad.

Unless it's been flooded or you run it on the beach a lot, your truck ought to be pretty solid. I'd sell it whole and just tell a prospective buyer why it doesn't run. Titles are erratic but if you have a clean and clear title, that helps a lot. Clear means no liens against it. Clean means no brands like "submerged" or "rebuilt".
Thank you for the info. I’ll take a video this afternoon.

The title is in my name and clean. The truck’s frame and body are rust free. No leaks and has a new set of BF Goodrich tires. It’s main purpose was driving back and forth to the farm.

I only have one pic with me but I’ll try and get the video posted this evening. I really do appreciate your help!AA0A6D9C-1923-4055-B01B-6DD84694CDBD.jpeg

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I’ll take a video this afternoon.

The title is in my name and clean. The truck’s frame and body are rust free. No leaks and has a new set of BF Goodrich tires. It’s main purpose was driving back and forth to the farm.

I only have one pic with me but I’ll try and get the video posted this evening. I really do appreciate your help!View attachment 378131

Sakes, THAT is a solid southern truck. Even with the missing radio and fuses, you ought to get a good price for it. Personally, I'd replace the fuses and get it running again. There may be somebody here that will get seriously aroused thinking of that truck. Definitely too nice to part out. Especially some kid who's looking for a truck as a first car. Those little snots will put their own "system" in it anyway.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spend the few bucks, put a radio in it, fuses.. It will sell. As said above, thats a clean southern truck, with a new tranny... You didnt mention the miles, but if its under 250k, I would expect it to sell for around 6000... Probably pretty easy.

OP
OP
H

HardyHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sakes, THAT is a solid southern truck. Even with the missing radio and fuses, you ought to get a good price for it. Personally, I'd replace the fuses and get it running again. There may be somebody here that will get seriously aroused thinking of that truck. Definitely too nice to part out. Especially some kid who's looking for a truck as a first car. Those little snots will put their own "system" in it anyway.
Ok, I’ll keep you updated in the event someone up there is interested. I would rather the sell benefit both parties. I has 160,000K miles on it. Nothing about them hard, it belonged to my granddad. He left it to me in 2007 & all I did was put a K & N air & oil filter in it. Oh, and dropped new tranny in around 2019 once the “limp home mode” issue started. 9037D46B-3E37-4528-A9DE-0CDB94997A24.jpegC3C7032D-4092-4520-8197-29D3BB67D379.jpeg0E31EE53-76D3-4FE3-ADEE-B942462F90AB.jpegGoing to make video now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17