Advice about buying a used Yukon to replace my 2003 SLT with 302,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFM is always an issue in one way or another. Having to replace my oil prematurely because of a "sensitive" system IS an issue for me. This is beside the fact that there are components in the engine that reduce it's reliability. Frequent oil changes is a workaround and not a solution. If it were an actual solution, then GM engineers would have the OLM scaled drastically differently on the AFM-equipped vehicles than the others.

Which is better financially and for the environment: Overly-frequent oil changes which result in more filters and rags/paper towels bought and then trashed, recycling of the used oil (for those that recycle it), the wastefulness of replacing synthetic oil that can go far longer than 3,000-3,500 miles etc. or losing 1-2 MPG that will really only occur in rare and very specific driving conditions?

It continues to be proven that AFM isn't worth the risk if you want the longevity of the Gen 3 engine. Whatever fuel savings AFM may return over the life of the vehicle is easily lost and countered with the cost of engine repair or replacement.

By the way, I change my oil and filter every 5,000 miles. I use full synthetic Pennzoil or Mobil1 and quality filters. I've determined that 5,000 miles is right around where the oil starts to get too dark for my liking. Being a quality synthetic, it's lubricating properties should still be plenty good at that mileage, but I'm changing it to get the contaminants out more so than because the oil is "spent". I would never go 8,000+ miles on an OCI, such as what the OLM would have you do if you followed it.
the issues is the tiny filter stops filtering. and most people grab the cheapest one they can find

cough cough fram filters which are garbage I tried it once and had to change the filter after 1,500 miles
before it started bypassing

I use the mobil1 filters or Baldwin.. normally when i had my car..

I got 4500-5000 miles out of it

I know the 5.3l supports larger filters do you use the biggest one available?

I know baldwin has the HUGE OVERSIZED towing filters. for the 5.3l

the slightly bigger mobil1 are hard to find.. they are only 1.25 the normal size while the baldwin is 2 times the size of the normal one 8 inches long :eek: might need lift kit installed as well

B7__94350.1490579792.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grooter8824

Latest posts