Advice about buying a used Yukon to replace my 2003 SLT with 302,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobsr

Reaction score
Hello,

Time to finally replace my 2003 SLT autoride Yukon I orderd back in 2002 and took me 6 months to get. Dark Blue, barn doors, sunroof, 5.3 multi fuel, traction control (an option back then), no third seat, Bose system, XM, Tlr Pkg for my 59 Chris Craft, and most other options. Best vehicle I ever had and still looks great, even with NH Winters and salt. A safe and secure vehicle, as the world has gone to what we used to call "kiddie cars" back in the day.

Are there any subsequent model years to probably avoid? Seems there were some issues with some subsequent year models. I know the barn doors are long gone, but I really love them. Seems hard to find used ones in any colors other than black and white. I don't really like the current styling from GM these days for these new vehicles, and like the prices these days even less.

Would appreciate your comments and advice as I look for a replacement with a sun roof, no third seat (or one which I will throw away), and a high end model well equipped in maybe blue, red, or something not black, white, or brown. Thanks.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any subsequent model years to probably avoid? Seems there were some issues with some subsequent year models. I know the barn doors are long gone, but I really love them. Seems hard to find used ones in any colors other than black and white. I don't really like the current styling from GM these days for these new vehicles, and like the prices these days even less.

My opinion is that, generally, the reliability gets worse the newer it is. They got better looking (subjective) and far more technologically advanced, but I'd be shocked to see a K2xxx hit 300,000 with no major repairs.

I believe the GMT800 is the most reliable generation with the GMT900 coming in second. The GMT900 looks much better (again, subjective) and has a few more available bells and whistles. The GMT900's engine can be made just as reliable by deleting AFM.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I agree with @iamdub. I do think I've noticed more complaints /problems with 07 and the 15+. If you want another NBS, I think 06 is the way to go. For NNBS, I'd look for 13 I think. I'm pretty sure 14 has some "changes" that led into the K2XXs.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like iamdub said, you probably won't find one to compare with your current 03, unbelievable. I really like the Denali, but I'm through with mine yet, could not find one any better, 202k still strong as ever. Good luck.
David g..............:2cents:

OP
OP
bobsr

bobsr

Reaction score
Hello,

Time to finally replace my 2003 SLT autoride Yukon I orderd back in 2002 and took me 6 months to get. Dark Blue, barn doors, sunroof, 5.3 multi fuel, traction control (an option back then), no third seat, Bose system, XM, Tlr Pkg for my 59 Chris Craft, and most other options. Best vehicle I ever had and still looks great, even with NH Winters and salt. A safe and secure vehicle, as the world has gone to what we used to call "kiddie cars" back in the day.

Would appreciate your comments and advice as I look for a replacement with a sun roof, no third seat (or one which I will throw away), and a high end model well equipped in maybe blue, red, or something not black, white, or brown. Thanks.

Thanks for our comments. Now at 304,000 miles and will do something in the next few months. Consumer reports also had repair records on the last 10 model years, and it appears there were some real issues with some model years.

And what's with that bad engine? Is that what they used to the calll 8-6-4 ? Did they get it wrong again? Another 350 diesel caper which killed the Cadillac Brand so badly it never recovered??

My past family members had Cadillacs since the 1930's. Wish I had some of those! So I have been a GM guy all my life, with the full size wagons since the 1950's (had a 57 wagon "hand me down" in college) and had many full size wagons until the last 96 Buick Roadblaster, finally with a 350, and retired when the rust finally ate it two years ago. Suffered with those 305 and 350 diesels in these wagons until they finally put a 350 in that 96 Buiick Roadblaster. It would still squeel the tires out of the toll booth!

Also had an ordered 1976 red Chevy Blazer back in the day with the 400 engine and that lasted almost 20 years and never had a major engine problem. Cost me $7200 and they increased the price $102.00 after I had ordered it to pay for "new seatbelts", now required. :) But they never made one with 4 doors until years later.

Thanks agaoin for your comments.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my 2006. It’s been a solid rig for the three years I’ve had it. Not been without problems but for the most part it’s been stuff that’s been easy to square away. Just replacing stuff as it ages. No major engine problems either. I like the 2007-2014 body style a lot and would love to have a 2012 or 2013 Yukon xl Denali eventually as I love the 6.2L V8 and from what I understand that motor is quite reliable.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a '10-'14 Denali, which gets the 6.2, so you don't have to worry about AFM in the 5.3.

Actually... If he wants to avoid AFM in a Denali, he needs to go for a n 07-09. AFM hardware was present in 07-09 models, but not activated in the PCM. L92 or L9H is the one to look for, not L94.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094