adjusting torsion keys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex29573

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you guys tell me if the screws on your torsion keys look even??

im asking because my driver's side key is screwed in more than my passenger side

ballsie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine are even, but i have heard MANY people say theirs are completely different from side to side. My cousin has a 06 3/4 ton GMC 4x4 and his keys are way off from each other, but the truck sits level.

thejstar

Reaction score
on a brand new ride, should be even, but if you have a weak shock on one side, the alignment guys might tweak it to compensate

Fyrcaptain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think with the battery, driver and other junk, one side of a vehicle would have
some more weight than the other side and the TB's would have some differing adjustments to compensate for that.

Besides....it's just too ****** early to crawl up under the truck this time
of the morning to look anyway.....sorry....

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can you guys tell me if the screws on your torsion keys look even??

im asking because my driver's side key is screwed in more than my passenger side

So is mine - I suspect the guy who did my keys took out the torsion bar and put it back into the threads a different way so the bars are loaded differently. I think it's possible over the years that the bars could bend a little due to all the stress, so if you put them back in without marking where they go in the hex fitting on the control arm, you could end up with bars that are loaded differently. Hence the difference on my key load. Just my opinion - I haven't actually "proved" it yet.

B

J-Will

#Merica
Reaction score
So is mine - I suspect the guy who did my keys took out the torsion bar and put it back into the threads a different way so the bars are loaded differently. I think it's possible over the years that the bars could bend a little due to all the stress, so if you put them back in without marking where they go in the hex fitting on the control arm, you could end up with bars that are loaded differently. Hence the difference on my key load. Just my opinion - I haven't actually "proved" it yet.

B

my truck was 100% stock when i got it and mine were even. but after i installed the drop keys one is now wayyyy more loaded than the other. because of ^^^ that reason, i put my bar back in a diff way than i should have on one side. because i didnt pay attention. :emotions122: