Adding USB to dash...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
I have a Bose non-Nav had unit but I did the same mod to use for charging only. Definitely an upgrade from having to use adapters in the power points.

Sent using Taptalk now Free

What extra components do you need to get this going? i have an 08 so no usb for me on my Nav, but id like to just have a USB charging port instead of a cig lighter hole...

tojo152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What extra components do you need to get this going? i have an 08 so no usb for me on my Nav, but id like to just have a USB charging port instead of a cig lighter hole...

If you don't have USB on back of the radio I don't think you can do it without upgrading the head unit to a newer model with one or aftermarket.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I have to use now that I have my ipad mini. Basically you take the plug out of your car and put the OEM usb plug in there. BEHIND the dash you put the plug back together and that USB charger piece in there.

So you'll get to this point...
IMG_5649.jpg

and then plug this cable

IMG_5652.jpg

in to that piece you linked to and the other side to the back of the OEM plug and put it all back together. I took the piece you linked and used electrical tape to make sure it didn't move or come apart behind the dash.

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh ok...makes sense!!! thanks !!

no problem. When I did my iPad mini install, I lost this function. I don't need it for the "storage" or input anymore since I have the mini, but it's nice to charge my phone by just throwing the USB on it instead of having a regular charger or even the piece you linked always sticking out.

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly how Nathan said is the simplest way.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paulgeyer

Latest posts