Adding Acetone to your fuel...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our shop uses Acetone to clean the thermal pads off cpu's. A few years ago, I knocked over the bottle and it spilt onto a logitech mouse. Within minutes, the mouse was a molten puddle of goo on the wooden desk. I have pics of the melted mouse somewhere.......

Moral of the story, only do this if you plan on selling your truck asap.
IMO, I wouldn't do this if you had any plans on keeping your truck.

Just my $0.02...

BTW, this stuff has whimis mdss warning labels all over the bottle, but it's the same thing as women's fingernail polish remover and it's deemed to be safe.
Go figure.

longstand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
USE it.. just make sure you plan a LONG Almost NONE-stop drive. this shit will clean and eat up seals and Plastic if left to long..

TahoeJim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a stupid idea to put in something so caustic.

"oh hurry and drive non-stop to use it all up before it eats up all plastic and rubber in the system"

Why stop with acetone? Muriatic acid would clean things up. What about adding a scoop of lye? Hell, a capful of liquid drano would do a good job too.

I nominate this thread for the Most Asinine Post of 2011.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a family member, with issues, who ran out of gas and put a can of paint thinner in the gas tank. I mean like almost a gallon. Drove until he could get to a gas station and then put in regular gas. Now I've never seen the inside of his engine but the thing is still ticking and has over 325k on the original motor. We're talknig about a 94 Honda Accord with 180k at the time of the incident. Not sure if I'd do it to my vehicle though....

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use acetone all the time to recycle my Rc wheels. I drop the wheel in the acetone and leave it overnight. The only thing that breaks down is the ca glue that's used to mount the rubber tires to the plastic wheels. It can destroy the foam inserts, but u shouldn't have any in your engine or u got bigger problems.

With that being said I don't know if I'd want to use it in my engine still.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10