Adding Acetone to your fuel...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just learned of this myself....

A guy on crownvic.net i guess added acetone to a Lincoln town car that had a code PO420 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold).

Quoted from one of his posts....

"First I did a laser temp reading on the front converter, the front was hotter than the back on both converters =clogged converters.

After acetone and a week later, the temp readings were where they should be!
No more code either,so just to be curious and have time one my hands , I removed the bad converters, insides looked clean as a whistle;)

I was even more curious, so here comes the boroscope, the pistons were shiny at the top, and all injectors im sure are cleaned up as well, the plugs were even clean"

Youtube link he posted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icTmYItwiE&feature=related

Source i found while doing a google search on Acetone....

http://forums.motortrend.com/70/7717876/the-general-forum/pure-acetone-as-a-fuel-additive/index.html

Acetone is basicly a "paint thinner" but i guess works great for cleaning internals on a motor/exhaust system.

Thoughts??

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i could see it cleaning it out pretty well, but would think it would be hell on all the seals.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heard about it before but never tried it. LOL my Tahoe is the only car that still has a cat intact!!

OP
OP
Danny_Z56

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i could see it cleaning it out pretty well, but would think it would be hell on all the seals.

Funny you mentioned that 96procomp,

Quoted from CVN,

"Wonder what that lacquer thinner does to the engine seals".-BigNSlow

Response,

"nothing, too diluted, and it never reaches them".-AODE

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
thats nuts.. You think about how lacquer thinner can burn the shit out of your hands and what it does to paint and everything, but yet he had the idea of throwing it in your gas tank....... :think:

longstand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It work. Trust me. i have used it before. specially to clean engine. its better than Seafoam. but you need to properly mix it.. And yes. Its bad for Seal. So if your going to use it. MAKE sure you don't let the Gas Seat.. plan a few hours trip. and Fill up your tank and ADD acetone. and DRIVE...

It works. and i did check the piston after used. its SHINY..

OP
OP
Danny_Z56

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly i think this remedy is best suited for those people who may have this code or a possable Catalytic Converter issue.It seems to be a cheap and 'plausible' way to possably fix their issue and get their vehicle inspected and back on the road with little cost and effort.

Normally if you are suffering with a clogged up Catalytic Converter,it really stems from other issues that are going on with your motor.So inturn,you can try this treatment BUT it may return cuz of other issues that caused it in the first place....................

An example is: a constent misfire could cause this,or a rich burn can as well,even a dirty MAF could do it over time.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It work. Trust me. i have used it before. specially to clean engine. its better than Seafoam. but you need to properly mix it.. And yes. Its bad for Seal. So if your going to use it. MAKE sure you don't let the Gas Seat.. plan a few hours trip. and Fill up your tank and ADD acetone. and DRIVE...

It works. and i did check the piston after used. its SHINY..

Totally taking your advice. :)

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Its powerful stuff, If left to long, it can eat at hoses, Gas tank linings especially now that most tanks are plastic now a days, and of course, seals. If your going to use it, try to go through the gas tank as soon as possible.