adding a block heater?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine doesn't have the K05 rpo code.. does anyone know of the most oem way to add one?

figuring the oem would be most reliable but I did see something about the oem one only working below 0. which would work, but seems like a bit of a waste?

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked, I think it was about a $50 part.. Why does it only work below 0? Maybe it's just not really needed above 0?

OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know, something I read on a thread there saying they didn't work above 0 and if you mod the plug the check engine light comes on. but I have know idea if that's correct.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked, I think it was about a $50 part.. Why does it only work below 0? Maybe it's just not really needed above 0?

I've had good oil gel in the sump at temps a few degrees warmer than that. It sucks.

If I was going to do it, I'd get a decent adhesive heater pad, and a smart plug, and set a timer to activate the plug a couple hours before I plan to leave the house. (That's if you have a plug nearby).

I don't, so I just bought a strong battery.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you choose to do a coolant type, you'll have to drain all thr coolant to get the freeze plug style in the block. I'm not a fan of these for many reasons. Your other option is to find a threaded block plug, install a hose barb, and use a stand alone heater that works off convection. The outlet will need to dump somewhere higher up in the block system. (Maybe even a heater hose or waterpump connection) You just want to make a circle effect in the block, not the radiator.

Generators use these and they work very good and have a built in thermostat. It will require more work, but is easy to service or replace as needed. Just make sure to put in ball valves at the hard connections (block).

There are other models that have a small circulation pump as well.

Screenshot_20240119_104410_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240119_104547_Chrome.jpg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used the one in the past on my older squarebody's that go inline with the main radiator hose. I installed them on the lower hose so the heated coolant would rise through the system. Left plugged in overnight at 21* the next morning the cylinder heads would be around 80*.

sshot-1.jpg

P1020369-800x600.jpg

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know, something I read on a thread there saying they didn't work above 0 and if you mod the plug the check engine light comes on. but I have know idea if that's correct.
Just read about a thermostat in the cord (K05 heater) that only works from -20 to 0 degrees F.
Possibly can modify the wire, but that radiator hose setup looks easiest!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no chedk engine light will happen from a block heater, all it does is screw into the block and provides a 2 pin connector for the cord that you plug in.
there is nothing more to it, it doesn't have any kind of connection to the electronics of the vehicle in any way shape or form
it's just a heater like any heater that you would plug in. the exception is it does not turn on unless the temp drops to 0 deg.
it is old school, plug it in and that's that, they have been the same for my entire life and I am 56
if you wanted it to come on before 0 deg, you could try searching for any block heater that turns on at a higher temp and just adapt it.
the fitting is going to be npt, size may vary
here is universal type one, you could ask the seller at what temp it turns on they do not show that info
for the most part all block heaters are similar and have been for a long time
**note this heater i linked below may not fit due to depth of the element, but could maybe be adapted anyway you would need to check the depth on the block where the oem goes

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you choose to do a coolant type, you'll have to drain all thr coolant to get the freeze plug style in the block. I'm not a fan of these for many reasons. Your other option is to find a threaded block plug, install a hose barb, and use a stand alone heater that works off convection. The outlet will need to dump somewhere higher up in the block system. (Maybe even a heater hose or waterpump connection) You just want to make a circle effect in the block, not the radiator.

Generators use these and they work very good and have a built in thermostat. It will require more work, but is easy to service or replace as needed. Just make sure to put in ball valves at the hard connections (block).

There are other models that have a small circulation pump as well.

View attachment 419279
View attachment 419280

what don't you like about the screw in element kind? it's cold here like 10 days a year.. it's more of an annoying thing, the wife pre starts poor thing about 3 times so it's nice and warm. the screw in block one seems to be the easiest to me? I would like one that's on anytime it's plugged in. the quicker the heat comes up to temp the better haha. I was curious how modding the oem one would cause a check engine light. that would be pretty weird.

I just put all new hoses on it, it would hurt my soul to cut one in half haha.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the OEM one screws in, then use that one. I thought it was a freeze plug style - which can be prone to leaks

Edit: I didn't look at the previous link. I now see. Use that one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman