adding a block heater?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only thing I found about them setting check engine lights is a comment someone made that it's possible because the engine coolent temp sensor reads so much different than the air intake sensor they run super rough at start up and set a miss fire code.

i guess that's possible.. be interesting to see.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only thing I found about them setting check engine lights is a comment someone made that it's possible because the engine coolent temp sensor reads so much different than the air intake sensor they run super rough at start up and set a miss fire code.

i guess that's possible.. be interesting to see.
feasable I guess, the things are not even needed unless it happens to dip below -18

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see how the temp difference between the block and intake air would be relevant, or set a code. My work truck had 198F coolant this week with-13F intake air. Shouldn't matter.

OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
might be a cranking fuel thing..

I'm going to pick one up, but probably be next year by the time I get it installed and we get another freeze here.

I agree, totally not needed. just a want.

TwoBigBoys n dog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
mine doesn't have the K05 rpo code.. does anyone know of the most oem way to add one?

figuring the oem would be most reliable but I did see something about the oem one only working below 0. which would work, but seems like a bit of a waste?
I had the dealership put one in my '18 Yukon Denali as part of purchase and have pictures on a different thread on how I ran the cable out via the fog light surround. Will confirm it worked while in Montana last week @ -36'f.

tenthirty2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a block heater installed in my 2008 Tahoe LT 5.3 LMG. It was installed in the block in the freeze plug where the factory heater would install on the drivers side. I think the part number for mine was KAT 11484. If I use the block heater above 15F or so it sets a DTC.

Conditions for Running the DTC

• The ignition is ON.

• DTCs P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0128, P0502, P0503 are not set.

• The start-up IAT is more than -7°C (+20°F).

• The vehicle has a minimum ignition OFF time of 10 hours.

• DTC P0116 runs once per drive cycle when the above conditions are met.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

• The start-up ECT is more than the start-up IAT by 100°C (180°F). OR

• The start-up ECT is more than the start-up IAT by 15°C (27°F), then the vehicle must be driven for more than 400 seconds over 24 km/h (15 mph). If the IAT sensor temperature decreases more than 8°C (14°F), a block heater is detected and the test is aborted. If the IAT sensor temperature does not decrease, a block heater was not detected and DTC P0116 sets.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.

The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

• The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

• A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.

• A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

• Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info! Interesting..

So the code should never set below 20 deg F.. When you really need the heater, it shouldn't throw a code.

I don't get the logic where the IAT must decrease 14+ degrees F (when its already 27+ degrees cooler than the coolant)

But... it doesn't sound like there is any handicap when the code sets.. and it will self clear eventually..
More of a 'check your IAT and ECT, because they aren't matching up on a cold start' kind of code.

I'd rather have the option of it heating above 20 degrees than not throw a code. Though I doubt I'd plug it in above 20 degree anyway..

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
huh. I. wonder if that fault can be turned off in hp tuners.

I gotta get one of these installed to play with.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
huh. I. wonder if that fault can be turned off in hp tuners.

I gotta get one of these installed to play with.
If it is P0116 ECT sensor 1 citrcuit/performance, then yes, it can be turned off.
Factory setting is configured as "MIL on 2nd error"

OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is P0116 ECT sensor range/performance, then yes, it can be turned off.
It is configured as "MIL on 2nd error"

nice.. thanks for looking. my hp laptop is who knows where in the house right now lol.

I have already licensed it to turn off afm, so that would be handy too.