Add a leaf or blocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldyukon95

Reaction score
I have 4wd 95 yukon with 6" lift. The rear axle is in blocks and one of them Has moved at least an inch. So I'm thinking of either replacing the blocks or adding a leaf. I do some offroading and pull a trailer now and again. What does everyone here prefer? Any particular brand for the leads? I know the leafs will make the ride stiffer but how much? Its not my daily driver but I do take long trips(2-3) hours in it. The install looks pretty straight forward for both. Any info would be great Ty.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with a combo AAL and Blocks. I had a 5.5 inch block when I first lifted. had some axle wrap issues so I downed to the 4 inch block and added a 1.5 inch AAL . your other option is a shackle flip which can lift you about 3-4 inches and then put a AAL .

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on the shackle flip. Much more sturdy. I hate blocks. I realize that they're necessary but scary when you find they're awry. I took mine apart (superlift 4" kit) and found the pack bolt that sits into the block was rusted flat and had come off. The bottom of the block was not even in the hole in the perch. Scary crap. ORD makes a hefty kit. Good welds, heavy steel. I'm sure you're aware you'll need new u bolts. I'd flip the u bolts too so the threads are pointed up. Easier to work on and ORD makes a good kit. Again, good heavy steel. Hope this helps.

PS the shackle flip will require a zero rate spring. It allows you to move the axle perch bolt back so with the flip, the axle will remain in the center of the spring. Otherwise you move the axle forward 1.5" which looks funny and rides bad and will rub in the front fender. Zero rate block will give you another inch lift too.

Just make sure ORD sends you all the bolts and nuts you need. See my post about ORD quality.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
O

Oldyukon95

Reaction score
that is great! So what I'm gathering is flip the shackle her a zero rate spring and then use ord block to lift it rest of the way. Ty!

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is great! So what I'm gathering is flip the shackle her a zero rate spring and then use ord block to lift it rest of the way. Ty!

I only had a 4" lift kit so the shackle flip got me there and the zero rate gave me a little extra. The 6" kit might use a small block if it comes up short.

BTW, I'm not selling ORDs stuff and have no interest in their products. Having said that they do make good parts.

OP
OP
O

Oldyukon95

Reaction score
I looked at ord. They have a 4" shackle flip but it doesn't include blocks. So I'm guessing I need to get 2" blocks and zero rate leads as well right.

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I would go Add a leaf and not a block if that's a possibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zucchini