Active Response 4WD - Is it worth waiting for when driving periodically in snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thephatp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking for information and advice related to the Active Response 4WD feature that's offered in the Premium Capability Package.

I live in Texas, but I'll be driving to the mountains in the snow with some frequency from year to year. I'm looking to get a 2022 Yukon XL, and I have to decide between getting one without the Air Ride and Active Response 4WD (soon), or waiting 4-8 months to build one. I'm really close to building one and waiting. However, I'm looking for any information someone may be able to share about the value/benefit of having eLSD and the torque management system.

Assuming I don't have snow tires, would this benefit me much in snow and ice? (Yes, I know, I should probably get snow tires, but for the sake of understand the importance of the feature I'm asking about, let's put snow tires aside...b/c I'm sure I'd be just fine w/o the system and snow tires.)

Admittedly, I don't understand much about how LSDs work, and I won't be doing a bunch of off-roading, but I do drive over some rocky terrain getting to a cabin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven’t had my At4 with air susp / and Elsd in enough wintry conditions yet to weigh in on whether or how much those systems make a difference. The ELsd should give improved traction over the standard mechanical locker although the right tires probably make a bigger difference.

The real benefit of the air suspension is going to be the additional clearance. So ask yourself if that has been an issue in the past and that may help with the decision.

For me the driveway to our cabin is steep, rocky, and usually snow covered all winter (sometimes unplowed) so I wanted the air suspension to give some extra clearance.

My business partner got a Denali with air ride same time I got the At4 - between the two the tires and approach angle are really the biggest functional difference.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whenever someone else asks if an option is worth waiting for, etc…..
I always pose the question “Will it bother you every time you drive it?”
I personally wouldn’t take a vehicle that was missing some things that I felt were valuable in Lieu of getting it sooner. This is a 5+ year decision and during those years you will meet up with many different conditions. Only you can decide if those conditions warrant the items you will be missing. More is always better. I’d rather buy a vehicle that had more things on it that I didn’t use, than the one or two things I valued but let go just so I could get it sooner.

Wileybird03

Reaction score
I personally wouldn’t take a vehicle that was missing some things that I felt were valuable in Lieu of getting it sooner. This is a 5+ year decision and during those years you will meet up with many different conditions. Only you can decide if those conditions warrant the items you will be missing. More is always better. I’d rather buy a vehicle that had more things on it that I didn’t use, than the one or two things I valued but let go just so I could get it sooner.
I like your thinking. I’m same way. I’d rather get it n not use it than not have it n need it!

Wileybird03

Reaction score
If your gonn drive in snowy conditions YES get 4wD!! Limited slip just cuts the power to your spinning wheel so your ass doesn’t slide out on ya! Really helps. If your on ****** roads just kick it in 4 high n roll on! I try n not do over 60 in 4 high! Just don’t forget to take it out when you get on dry roads again! Yoll know when you turn corner on dry pavement n thing won’t Hardly turn!

OP
OP
T

thephatp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Haven’t had my At4 with air susp / and Elsd in enough wintry conditions yet to weigh in on whether or how much those systems make a difference. The ELsd should give improved traction over the standard mechanical locker although the right tires probably make a bigger difference.
Darn. Well, if you think to come back to post your findings later in the snow, I'll definitely be interested in hearing! :)

NYisles1 said:
The real benefit of the air suspension is going to be the additional clearance. So ask yourself if that has been an issue in the past and that may help with the decision.

For me the driveway to our cabin is steep, rocky, and usually snow covered all winter (sometimes unplowed) so I wanted the air suspension to give some extra clearance.

I doubt I would need the extra clearance, but I'm in a similar boat. My cabin probably won't have a ton of snow in the driveway, but the last 50 yards to get to the driveway are on a steep slope and will certainly have ice/snow (though neighbors further up will keep it plowed, at least).

I like your thinking. I’m same way. I’d rather get it n not use it than not have it n need it!

Yeah, I completely agree with the thinking of having more and not needing it than the other way around. The only reason I wouldn't get it is if someone said it really wasn't going to help in snow/ice, and that the adaptive air ride was more of a gimmick than anything else. My main use for the air ride would be for the smoother ride and lowering for an elderly parent, but that'll be few and far between.

I'm not so eager to get just anything. The only difference in the one I could get soon vs build my own is literally the package with the air ride and active response. If others had it and felt it was a useless and a waste of money, I'd be interested to hear why.

That said, I'm pretty sure I'll go for the long game and get. Otherwise, I'll probably spend the next 10 years wondering what if, lol.

And, I'll probably end up getting a set of snow tires and swapping them out when I head to the mountains. Because, why not. :p

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only other thing I will say is it is also very rare to have a diesel available and at your disposal to buy. They are rare birds out there and highly desirable. It was my number one criteria in buying this vehicle. I was willing to let a few things go but it had to be a diesel. I got lucky. But I absolutely would not compromise on the range and gas mileage.
I was fully OK with a Denali and premium package. But when this gift horse presented itself I paid the extra and bought it.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for information and advice related to the Active Response 4WD feature that's offered in the Premium Capability Package.

I live in Texas, but I'll be driving to the mountains in the snow with some frequency from year to year. I'm looking to get a 2022 Yukon XL, and I have to decide between getting one without the Air Ride and Active Response 4WD (soon), or waiting 4-8 months to build one. I'm really close to building one and waiting. However, I'm looking for any information someone may be able to share about the value/benefit of having eLSD and the torque management system.

Assuming I don't have snow tires, would this benefit me much in snow and ice? (Yes, I know, I should probably get snow tires, but for the sake of understand the importance of the feature I'm asking about, let's put snow tires aside...b/c I'm sure I'd be just fine w/o the system and snow tires.)

Admittedly, I don't understand much about how LSDs work, and I won't be doing a bunch of off-roading, but I do drive over some rocky terrain getting to a cabin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Having driven a plain Jane (1999) 4WD Suburban over Donner pass through maybe 10 severe snow storms and 100s of days hubcap deep snow in Lake Tahoe. I would tell you with a fair amount of certainty, any 4WD Yukon XL you buy will make you feel bullet proof in the snow.

Clearly, the more capability the more bullet proof, but you are well past the point of diminishing returns once you have 4WD and a LSD or locker rear diff.

One final thing is even with the most capability, you can still screw things up if you are heavy footed and inexperienced. Coming down the mountain today, we watched a couple in a Rubicon Jeep get stuck and high centered over a berm on the side of the trail. She just stood on the gas and was shouting at her windshield…

We hooked her up and backed up the trail dragging her out. Super slick and high arrogance can get you stuck regardless of the bells and whistles.

OP
OP
T

thephatp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The only other thing I will say is it is also very rare to have a diesel available and at your disposal to buy. They are rare birds out there and highly desirable. It was my number one criteria in buying this vehicle. I was willing to let a few things go but it had to be a diesel. I got lucky. But I absolutely would not compromise on the range and gas mileage.
I was fully OK with a Denali and premium package. But when this gift horse presented itself I paid the extra and bought it.

So, this will be my first venture into a larger vehicle for the purpose of mountain (slight off-road, but just over some rocky paths), and possibly hauling a trailer here or there (but again, rarely).

Between that and the lack of diesel in the US, I'm completely unfamiliar with the benefits. Why the strong draw to a diesel? What are the benefits for you? What would be the benefits based on the potential usage I mentioned above?

And thanks for humoring my ignorance. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons