Accident Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeavOR

Reaction score
I'm super annoyed that some kid rear-ended me a couple nights ago, but thankful no one was hurt.

I've never been in an accident before so I'm seeking any advice you all may have for me.

I've filed a claim with the other parties insurance co (Progressive), and they have accepted fault and authorized me to take my Tahoe to the body shop of my choice for repairs. I spoke with my attorney and he is going to get me an independent "diminished value" assessment and be sure to present that to Progressive for payment.

The damage is to the driver's side rear bumper. I'm taking it to the body shop my attorney recommended on Tuesday (claim to be Certified Chevrolet (among others) collision repair) The attorney is a good friend so I trust he's not just sending me some place for a kick-back.

So far I feel like things are getting taken care of, but if you all have other expierence or advice to pass along, please do.

Thanks!

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the accident. Seems like everything is in order so you should be good to go. A couple things, in some states, they have to give you comparable sized rental so try to get your hands on newer Yukon or Tahoe to beat around for when the trucks in the shop. Also do your homework on the body shop, my mechanic who I trust dearly with my vehicle gave me his recommendation and the guy was crap. Wasn't his fault. And don't forget about any previous dings you had prior or the accident, have them fix those and work with you on the price. May have to pay some more money or maybe they can roll it into the estimate.

OP
OP
BeavOR

BeavOR

Reaction score
Thanks! Tell me more about what kinds of mods would be good to do at this time?

OP
OP
BeavOR

BeavOR

Reaction score
The damage is to the drivers side rear bumper....got the estimate done and they said they will have to replace the whole bumper and step pad.

spyboy49

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Joe,
How did you make out with your diminished value claim?

bgsntth

Reaction score
Ironically, I too got rear-ended earlier this month by a Millennial who was insured by Progressive. The Progressive agent first asked if my insurance company was going to pay for repairs:rolleyes: Then stated that I had to prove that the vehicle was diminished in value as a result of being rear-ended. I went to KBB and calculated two value's with the only variable changing being a prior repair, and the difference was about $4.5K. I plan on asking my Chevy dealer for a written valuation at my next service. USAA, my insurer, said they utilize a DV form, which I will borrow. Please do let me know how it goes with your DV claim, and what you did.

In my accident, I was on the freeway in the fast lane going about 60mph in moderate traffic. Traffic came to a gradual stop. I was at a stand-still for about 5-10 seconds when the Millennial plowed into my tow hitch. Swears she was not on the phone:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700