AC Schrader Valves

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My low side Schrader valve is leaking (I can see it bubbling), so I am going to replace both the low and high valve cores. There's a tool ($40) so you don't have to evacuate the system, and a valve core kit is only $15. It includes 4 valve cores, one port (in case you need it), and the caps.

One of the most common questions for DIY on the internet is "Which port is the low side? I'm surprised that both caps are black, when it would be so easy to have one side Blue and the other black or red (like the replacement caps in the kit). My wife would say having them both black is something a guy did.

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My low side Schrader valve is leaking (I can see it bubbling), so I am going to replace both the low and high valve cores. There's a tool ($40) so you don't have to evacuate the system, and a valve core kit is only $15. It includes 4 valve cores, one port (in case you need it), and the caps.

One of the most common questions for DIY on the internet is "Which port is the low side? I'm surprised that both caps are black, when it would be so easy to have one side Blue and the other black or red (like the replacement caps in the kit). My wife would say having them both black is something a guy did.
Hot tapping has been in use for many years. I first saw it being used around 1980 on a 175 lb steam line. Many explainations and examples on internet. Search for "hot tapping," if interested in see exactly how the tool functions.

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today was the day.

Someone in another thread said the Schrader valve core tool was a total failure. I was touchy and it took me a couple of failures before I actually grabbed the valve I was removing. The new one went in fairly easy.

I noticed it's still bubbling a little.

A question based on video and my own visual: Is there not a valve core in the high pressure side? I don't see one, and the kit includes one port that does not have a valve core.

If I'm not mistaken, if that's the case, the system has to be evacuated before you can replace that port. In the last video I watched, the guy said he replaces the high pressure port every time he services AC, and he was, in fact, replacing the entire port.

I need to get another can of AC Pro to see if I did any good.

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, the Mastercool tool has a high-side attachment, so there should be a valve core on the high side port.

But, I can't see one.

Huh?

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The high side on both of mine have a rubber check ball, not a schrader valve. Unfortunately it also is of the non-replacable variety. There are two different types; one replaceable and one not.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The high side on both of mine have a rubber check ball, not a schrader valve. Unfortunately it also is of the non-replacable variety. There are two different types; one replaceable and one not.
If you are gonna say that, then say what year,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan