AC question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HTXtahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so I’m changing my AC compressor on my 2001 Chevy Tahoe and on my old compressor it has a plug where a connector connects to and when I got a new one it does not have a connection so I ask the company I bought it from and they said that I have to bypass it. Does anyone know how to bypass it. Please let me know thanks

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the function of the sensor. A high pressure cutout would probably be normally closed, work fine without doing anything with it. Or something else. Is the sensor a plug in deal that can be removed and put in the new compressor.? A snap ring and o-ring seal type.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so I’m changing my AC compressor on my 2001 Chevy Tahoe and on my old compressor it has a plug where a connector connects to and when I got a new one it does not have a connection so I ask the company I bought it from and they said that I have to bypass it. Does anyone know how to bypass it. Please let me know thanks

@UmmScott might have some insight on this one.

Something isn't clear. Are you saying there is no wire harness connection at all on the new one?

Does your new one look like this? This is an AC Delco compressor for a 2001 Tahoe from Rock Auto.
upload_2019-9-9_9-5-43.png

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the old compressor on the truck has that and the new one does not and has NO port to.put that pressure switch in, then you could have the wrong compressor.

That is a high pressure cutout and shuts off the compressor if the pressure gets too high.
Newer trucks this is also a trigger for the coolant fans so please double check your setup and make sure you have the correct compressor

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

HTXtahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I emailed the people from the compressor place and they told me that I have to bypass the switch that is on the back of the compressor. They said that the connector that connects to the back of the compressor has to be bypassed does anybody know how to do that

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theyre giving you wrong info.

Never bypass a safety switch. You either have the wrong compressor or arent seeing something correctly. Theres no need to bypass anything

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I emailed the people from the compressor place and they told me that I have to bypass the switch that is on the back of the compressor. They said that the connector that connects to the back of the compressor has to be bypassed does anybody know how to do that
As ummScott said bypassing the high pressure cutoff isnt something that you should have to do. Its there for a reason. To bypass depends on what state the switch is in when system pressure is normal. If the switch is a N.O.(normally open) switch during normal pressure then simply leaving the wire plug dangling will bypass the switch. If its a N.C. (normally closed) switch then you will have to cut the plug off the end of the wiring and solder the two wires together (and insulate the connection). This will trick the PCM which effectively bypasses the switch.
I bet the boneheads sent you the wrong compressor and dont wanna make it right.

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That switch is 1 of 2 things. Its either a high pressure safety switch, or a high pressure sensor.
Both are slightly different but they will both do 1 critical function and that is to shut off the compressor if the high side gets too high.

If you bypass that, and the pressure does get too high, get ready for a loud noise as the internal relief goes off venting out all the refrigerant. Do not bypass this (also good luck bypassing if its a sensor, radiator fans wont work)

OP
OP
H

HTXtahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That switch is 1 of 2 things. Its either a high pressure safety switch, or a high pressure sensor.
Both are slightly different but they will both do 1 critical function and that is to shut off the compressor if the high side gets too high.

If you bypass that, and the pressure does get too high, get ready for a loud noise as the internal relief goes off venting out all the refrigerant. Do not bypass this (also good luck bypassing if its a sensor, radiator fans wont work)

I ask the people that I ordered it from that they sent me the wrong compressor and they keep telling me no I have the right one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruben03yukonDenal

Latest posts