AC going hot during idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My coolant temp also rises.

I have a new:

Water pump
Thermostat
Fan clutch

any ideas?

Could be a couple of things. First is the fan clutch and then there may be a small leak to where it's time to add some refrigerant to the system. Replacing the service ports on two different vehicles solved the slow leaks and made them cold again. When the condenser and compressors wear out, they will also make the AC hot at low or no speed. Do the cheap and easy stuff first.

OP
OP
AN292

AN292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the ac clutch engaged or off.Is it cycling .

I will check and get back to this thread
Could be a couple of things. First is the fan clutch and then there may be a small leak to where it's time to add some refrigerant to the system. Replacing the service ports on two different vehicles solved the slow leaks and made them cold again. When the condenser and compressors wear out, they will also make the AC hot at low or no speed. Do the cheap and easy stuff first.

Thank you for the help, Im going to check the 134 charge first, and then my ac clutch

Fan shroud in place and complete?

Actually no, its not. I forgot the bottom shroud when I replaced my water pump. Definitely didn't feel like taking my fan clutch off again and putting it on.

OP
OP
AN292

AN292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The AC clutch is spinning, been staring at it for about 5 minutes. Never disengages.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The AC on my 02 does that if it’s over about 90 and I’m stuck in traffic, even with an electric fan conversion. The NBS don’t have the best condensers. You can check for leaves and stuff in the condenser and radiator and also check to see if your clutch fan is operating when the ac gets hot. Does the snowflake symbol blink 3 times and not stay lit?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will check and get back to this thread

Thank you for the help, Im going to check the 134 charge first, and then my ac clutch

Actually no, its not. I forgot the bottom shroud when I replaced my water pump. Definitely didn't feel like taking my fan clutch off again and putting it on.
There’s your problem, the shroud is important.

OP
OP
AN292

AN292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s your problem, the shroud is important.
Well shit. I’ll put it back on then. I was just tired and I did the water pump in the rain, I was freezing and couldn’t feel my hands haha. Never got around to getting that back on. Thank you very much

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well shit. I’ll put it back on then. I was just tired and I did the water pump in the rain, I was freezing and couldn’t feel my hands haha. Never got around to getting that back on. Thank you very much

Did your generation come with baffling on either side of the radiator and condenser? Mine did and the material was rotting away and my coolant temperature went up slightly and that may also explain why my AC was not quite as cool as it once was, maybe. I went ahead and purchased all 4 NOS pieces to keep mine in top form.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim2014