About to order 16 LTZ Tahoe...have Questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
phantasms

phantasms

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as GM has solved the issues that have plagued some of the 2016s, I'm sure that you (and your wife) will enjoy the new rig. It's the main reason I'm holding off instead of jumping on a heavily-discounted 2015 that are on many lots today.

What are these issues I should be on the look out for?

Best,
Gene :boti:

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that I'm wrong and that you're all right. But I love the Tahoe looks and for me the looks of a car are very important. This is primarily a baby hauler for the wife. When I want to go fast I've got an LT4 for that (which I daily drive).

So it's too late. I ordered the inferior vehicle. Shame on me.

Can anyone help with the unchroming process?

Thanks!

Best,
Gene :boti:

Whatever makes you happy because you are the one who has to be satisfied.
If by chance you find your vehicle underpowered and shifting none stop on a climb, you can always drop that LT4 engine in it...

Got-Boost?

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever makes you happy because you are the one who has to be satisfied.
If by chance you find your vehicle underpowered and shifting none stop on a climb, you can always drop that LT4 engine in it...

Or just add a supercharger to the 5.3... :D

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or just add a supercharger to the 5.3... :D

Yeah, that may help.
It was a great day when I traded off the wife's Tahoe with the 5.nuthin.
Last Monday, I said good-bye to my business work truck Silverado with the 5.3l, and picked up a new Sierra 2500 SLT double cab.

He will find out the hard way that it's not about horse power, but torque to move that behemoth along at a respectable rate.

tweak48

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You will be making a titanic mistake buying the 5.3l.
JMO.

Why?

I'd sure like to have the 8 speed transmission, but acceleration to 60 mph in 7.1 seconds, and a quarter in 15.6 at 91 mph isn't bad for a full size SUV.

Is the 5.3 a bad engine? Is it unreliable?

Got-Boost?

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that may help.
It was a great day when I traded off the wife's Tahoe with the 5.nuthin.
Last Monday, I said good-bye to my business work truck Silverado with the 5.3l, and picked up a new Sierra 2500 SLT double cab.

He will find out the hard way that it's not about horse power, but torque to move that behemoth along at a respectable rate.

450whp/460wtq isn't to shabby from the 5.3... https://whipplesuperchargers.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=180

508/509 from the 6.2 is pretty fun also....but then again I understand his reasoning.

We drove both of them and my wife liked the Tahoe and the looks much better than the Yukon. If the Tahoe came with the 6.2 I'd of ordered it but the 5.3 isn't a bad setup at all..

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why?

I'd sure like to have the 8 speed transmission, but acceleration to 60 mph in 7.1 seconds, and a quarter in 15.6 at 91 mph isn't bad for a full size SUV.

Is the 5.3 a bad engine? Is it unreliable?

It's a fine, reliable engine that has no business in a large heavy full size SUV.

IMO, the 6 speed is the biggest problem because the 5.3 doesn't have enough torque to pull hills without downshifting. Just a bad combo.
My wife's last Tahoe was undrivable to me. Driving through the PA turnpike, it must have downshifted 50 times.
Her new Denali never downshifted once.
The 5.3 in my old Silverado couldn't tow even the lightest trailer at speed without it being in tow/haul mode which doesn't allow the converter to lock up. Forget hauling something heavy.

Last edited:

tweak48

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's a fine, reliable engine that has no business in a large heavy full size SUV.

IMO, the 6 speed is the biggest problem because the 5.3 doesn't have enough torque to pull hills without downshifting. Just a bad combo.
My wife's last Tahoe was undrivable to me.

I see. I always felt my wife's 2005 Z-71 Tahoe was underpowered also. I figured with direct injection, VVT, etc that issue was dealt with.

The new 5.3 has 15-20% more power on paper at least than my old 5.3, so I'm guessing it can't be any slower. Besides all I haul around on a trip is some luggage and maybe my 80 pound Gordon Setter.

rad-man

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
here's another vote to back out of the tahoe and get the Denali.
(even if you ordered, you can cancel and get your deposit back).

Try this:
build your tahoe AND the denali on this site (anyone can build and see the supplier prices)
https://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com/ip-vpp/gm-showroom?site=sup-build

You get sooo much more bang for the buck. People already mentioned the 6.2L and 8-speed, but there's a lot more...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667