A Sticky for New PPV/SSV Owners To Re-Civilianize Our Tahoes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marcello1395

Reaction score
In a way, I'm glad to know that I'm not alone. But it certainly sucks. I have purchased the following and will be trying them out:
(8*168gb model)

I'll post a write up on them after I get them installed and evaluated.

Definitely let me know still debating which one to go with.

Jimgeorge

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I just ordered a new leather-wrapped civilian wheel from the dealer. I guess I'm becoming a frequent customer because the price dropped to $186. Some of these OEM prices are fantastic.

I received the civilian shift lever. Do you recommend any other interior upgrades? Can I upgrade to automatic HVAC controls?
Does anybody have a part number for the civilian shift lever.

A1251R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Attachments

• 20230808_072216.jpg
    20230808_072216.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230808_072226.jpg
    20230808_072226.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230808_072252.jpg
    20230808_072252.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 15

PopoPackage2011

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fixed this as follows below, hopefully you can do similar or find a better solution:

Removed tail light assembly. Found that the brake light is the light blue wire going to the top bulb in the terminal marked "Major".

All the tail light wires including the light blue brake light wire trace to a harness going into a TFCM near the spare tire, which is a Trailer Brake and Fuel Pump Control Module.

No voltage on the light blue wire after the TFCM to the tail light when the brake is pressed. But on the front side of the TFCM the light blue/white wire reads 12v when brake is pressed.

So I jumped a splice clamp from the light blue/white going into the FTCM directly to the lightblue wire going into the "major" terminal on the top bulb on eash side bypassing the FTCM.

And boom. Brake lights now working. Tail lights, turn signals - all good.

Edit: Total cost $approx. $10 for splice clamps, 18 gauge wire, and wire conduit

Edit #2 4/9/18: After going through all this above I found a better solution. A number of wires at the BCM contained aftermarket splices. I removed the aftermarket splices at various BCM terminals, restoring the factory wiring. And now the brake lights work from factory wiring without the mess I described above. This includes the top center light bar, also needed to place a 15A fuse in #49 under the hood. I hope this helps, either method will get you there.

Is there a way to "unclip" the BCM harness to remove wires, or you were seeing aftermarket splices on OEM connections?
I have to take a better look at my BCM. I have the same brake light issues-been trimming/pulling the rats nest of wires from under the dash/headliner/etc. 2011 PPV Georgia K9. Also-what top center lightbar are you referring to? Your rig came with sirens? or just the 3rd brake light? Any advice greatly appreciated as I am tired of fooling with this for weeks now.

scoobydoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
*****PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MSG OR POST ADD-ON'S TO THIS LIST, ANY LINKS OR INFORMATION IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!! *****

I think we should have a sticky at the top of the PPV and SSV forums, with the basics about getting our trucks back to a more "civilized" form. We can also have a breakdown of the differences between civilian tahoes and PPV and SSV + other Fleet optioned vehicles.

The goal would be a comprehensive list of the basic stuff we all (or most of us) encounter when we bring our Government Owned Tahoes home with us for the first time.

Some topics or examples are:

- Rear Door Locks - Getting them to lock/unlock and have the ability to auto lock or unlock via Key fob and front passengers buttons

- Basic how to on all essential maintence to do when first getting the 'Hoe home like liquid; Oil, Coolant, Steering fluid, Brake fluid, Differential fluids, Transfer Case

- How to Make Rear Door Interior Door Handles Functional

- Radio swap for USB+BLUETOOTH+6 disc (XM undelete?)

- How to get 2nd row speakers working (mine are plugged in at the speaker but must be disconnected somehow between the B Pillar and the head unit as they do not function, makes me wonder if adding the small tweeter speakers on the upper rear C pillars would be plug N play since the rear passenger door speakers don't work and are plugged in )

- How to make electronic rear windows workable by the rear passengers (mine were disconnected, and each rear switch was taped over on the actual PCB board where the switch makes contact, but when switches were fixed and felt "right" the windows still only roll down from Driver's control, this leads me to believe the entire harness for each rear door must be disconnected because the rear speakers also don't work)

- Center Consoles with all the different options

- How to Add DIC button

- How to Add a Self Dimming and other features rear view mirror

- Floormat & cargo area options + model numbers

- How to remove spotlight and make civilainized

- How to swap steering wheels with radio controls

- How to swap front cloth seats for better options

I also know there are a bunch of mods that are much more than just simple plug N play mods such as:

- Folding+Heated+Signal Side Mirrors
- Rearview mirror with LCD built-in license plate camera
- Front Heated Seats, Rear Captains Chairs, Third Row Seating?
- Adjustable Gas Pedal ?
- Adding Carpeted floor & Replacing/Adding vinyl flooring
- Adding stock 8 speaker system components + aftermarket audio
- Adding rear climate controls on headliner (manual and automation)
- Adding rear heated seats
- Adding rear radio functions
- Adding civilian center consoles

I know I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff but do you guys think this is a worthy endevour? As a newbie myself (less then a month owning) I'll tell you I could really use a thread like this, to this day! A lot is info I don't have an need to learn/find and other stuff I'd be willing to write up.

Please help lol
Hi new to the ppv world and I just got a 2010 chevy tahoe LS 2wd ppv and there a whole bunch of stuff cut was wondering if anyone knows what's these for?

Attachments

• 20240804_180721.jpg
    20240804_180721.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240804_175952.jpg
    20240804_175952.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240804_175532(0).jpg
    20240804_175532(0).jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240802_114410.jpg
    20240802_114410.jpg