~ A/C questions ~

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letsbangout

Reaction score
Now as for for my old oriface tube... Not so good. It was full of complete crap, couldnt eve see through it; nothing black though. Almost all covered in red, which is likely due to the stop leak I had tried first time around. I had added 4 12oz cans of 134a and 1 3oz can of PAG100. Didnt get cool till the third can and it wouldnt take all of the 4th can. Is it possibly due to low oil? Whats your take on whet I had done?

The crap you're describing is likely part of one or more compressor cylinders (I believe our compressors have 16) disintegrating and depositing regurgitated metal particulate into the system. It will look like a fine silver powder - think like Arm & Hammer baking soda mixed with water, but grey. The stop-leak could've easily turned it red. Based on what little I know and what I've read, you need to disconnect everything and blow it out completely, as I described previously. Assume that your condenser is shot and replace it, unless you know how to get it force-flushed on the cheap (with a HECAT or other closed-loop flushing device - it seems silly to me because the flush chemicals themselves, just to run the procedure on that big honkin' condenser, are probably close to the cost of a new compressor). Remember you can't blow through the muffler hoses so you'll probably end up buying a new set. Definitely install a suction screen to protect your compressor, as there's no telling how much damage you've already done to it (the consensus seems to be that a tablespoon of debris in the system can wreck a compresor). And think about a liquid line filter too (which is the GM recommended solution in cases like yours) - although the jury is still out, in my opinion. You may have crap in your compressor now too.. no clue as to how you get it out (maybe by dumping a ton of oil through it? - definitely do your homework on that one).

And again, I recommend taking everything I'm saying with a grain of salt. These are the conclusions I've reached as a mere amateur, having only a modicum of experience with a couple of my own AC systems. Definitely do plenty of reading on your own, in Alldata, forums, TSBs, etc. One other piece of generic advice - it's probably time to buy a refrigerant tank to recover the gas you have in the system now (purging into the atmosphere is illegal and will make baby allah weep). You should be able to find a shop that'll do the recovery into your own tank, so you can use it to charge the system back up when you're done making repairs (which requires no special equipment, by the way - the compressor suction will eventually draw all of it in). Definitely filter the refrigerant too. Off the top of my head, I can't recall if it's normal for AC evacuation machines to filter the gas as it goes into the tank (discharging the system), or after it comes out (charging the system), but definitely take note of that, as not to charge your system back up with particulate-contaminated gas.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
Well, new compressor just bit the dust :(

Looks like Freon spewed everywhere in the engine bay. Seems it came from between the pulley and the compressor.

Anyway I can flush out my system without going to an A/C shop? Something I can do in my driveway basically...

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
If you have rear ac it's going to have controls on the overhead console as well as overhead vents and controls for the rear passengers.

it does indeed have controls but they are fan only. no temp controls. that said, if I have rear AC, do I have another oriface tube? condensor? accumulator? what else do I need to check? I plan to take everything I can apart and clean before I put the new compressor on and accumulator. is the accumulator different between rear and non rear AC?

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
Looks as though I do have Rear AC. AZ and Advance both believe that the smaller accumulator will work. Thoughts on this? Im sure dirty lines had a lot to do with the failure, but Im still not sure if maybe the accum had a part in it. I know the rear AC worked really well for the most part even when the front went out. Do you guys think I can install this one and clean the lines and be good to go?

Also, how do I get that rear AC cover off? I really want to pull the evap in there and clean it as well as have the lines open at both ends so I can flush them too.

I take it there is no way I can reuse the AC main lines? No possible way I can clean them? Im wondering this because NO ONE carries them... What am I to do...?

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year/make/model truck do you have? Where are you located?

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99 4dr Tahoe. so-cal.

I have a NIB Delhi accumulator and several NIP orifices and a new expansion for sale....if your interested??? I bought them for my old truck but just picked up a new toy so I would love to get rid of this stuff!