~ A/C questions ~

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Yes, I have rear AC.

Need to know where the oil and capacity of oil goes.

Is it 4oz comp, 3 accum, and 1 evap?

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

Was almost there! What a f'n nightmare this has been. I'm so tired of this; whilst trying to put on the lines, I broke worthless plastic that has four heater lines going into it. Looks to be the valve that would shut off water circulating to the heater core. What is this thing called?

EDIT; NVM heater control valve. $12 and in stock (surprising!)

If this thing does indeed cut off circ to the heater core, then I would think this was my problem with the AC going here and there as the vacuum line was barely connected; mostly deteriorated away. Thoughts?

about 3.5 for accumulator, 1 for condenser, 3 for each evaporator. for compressor if you drained less then 1 ounce from it then add 1full one, if more then 1 drained then add same amount to new. add the to the components. if you lost your charge because of a massive leak like say you blew out the safety valve add 3 more.

evacuate for at least an hour. start with 2.75 pounds of freon if you have a 4door tahoe with rear air and fine tune with performance test from there. use regular r-134a freon do not use any with stop leak.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
about 3.5 for accumulator, 1 for condenser, 3 for each evaporator. for compressor if you drained less then 1 ounce from it then add 1full one, if more then 1 drained then add same amount to new. add the to the components. if you lost your charge because of a massive leak like say you blew out the safety valve add 3 more.

evacuate for at least an hour. start with 2.75 pounds of freon if you have a 4door tahoe with rear air and fine tune with performance test from there. use regular r-134a freon do not use any with stop leak.

Thank you sir!

It is open to atmosphere because I have taken the whole thing apart a cleaned everything. Pretty much all dry. Also, the accum, lines and compressor are brand new. That said; what do I put in now?

99 Yukon Four-door w/ rear A/C

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Blow everything out with dry nitrogen and cap of the openings when not working on it. And you must replace the accumulater/ dryer for sure.

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I got that part. Its the capacity im not sure about seeing how its all new.

This is the question of the century! Its like asking who makes a better pickup, Ford or Chevy??

Some say 44oz, some say 56oz while I used 64ozs.....

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
Alright, got it all together. Seems to work pretty well. I stopped at 44oz.

Though something I noticed, the rear AC is considerably colder and it it seems to take a little longer to start cooling than Im used to with my Camaro (and understand it has 260K+ miles on it). Also, the compressor is a little noisy for my taste. Any idea what would cause this?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
the rear takes longer to build up pressure because of line length. just make sure to do performance test to make sure you are not overcharged which can add extra noise.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
the rear takes longer to build up pressure because of line length. just make sure to do performance test to make sure you are not overcharged which can add extra noise.

Im not saying the rear takes longer to get cold down; rather the whole system takes a bit to cool, and that the rear is noticeably colder. Im wondering if thats a sign of low charge or something else.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
it might be. or a weak compressor. i said it before that you need to have a performance test done to make sure you have returned it stock performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65