A/C Drier and lines frosted over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tried doing a search and found this thread, but didn't feel it exactly was on what I needed.
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/a-c-accumulator.105734/#post-1260829

Anyhow, I recently connected the A/C high pressure line back up. I did a motor swap and broke the high pressure connector on the back of the compressor to the point that the plug wouldn't stay in, so the compressor wouldn't kick on because of that, or so I thought. I left it disconnected for a few weeks, but recently replaced the a/c belt and was able to get the plug to stay in the back of the compressor with tape and some other stuff (that's another story). And now the A/C runs and it's super cold. But I have frost build up on the drier and the lines going to it. The strange thing is the truck stays super cold, and it never gets warm. We were driving for about three hours with only stopping once, and the whole time the truck stayed cold inside, in fact one of our friends kept talking about how cold the truck is. But when I got it home, I popped the hood for something else unrelated, and noticed the frozen lines. After shutting off the truck, within seconds, it melted away. Today again we were out, but only made two short trips, and it frosted over again, but a/c never got warm. So first question, do I have moisture in the system, or is the drier needing replacing? I put a gauge on it, and running, the pressure is around 45psi after i took a short trip around the neighborhood. And the second question is, would this last until next month? I have A/C manifold gauges, vacuum pump, and a recovery unit I have saved to buy. I plan to buy them so I can have it on hand for myself and family, but planned to discharge, weigh, and vacuum down the system. Thanks again.

OP
OP
J

JayH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it causing you any problems?

45 psi what? Hot? Cold? Single number doesn't say anything unless it's zero

45psi while hot after taking it around the neighborhood for about 10 minutes. And no issues, just curious why I’m seeing frost on the lines but the ac still works. Maybe it’s worth mentioning that I’m in Florida and we have both front and rear ac going on mid to full blast.

OP
OP
J

JayH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Something new i found out today. The compressor runs the entire time the ac is on. But even if I turn off the ac, but keep the blower running, the compressor still runs. Again it never gets warm inside but the lines and drier freezes up. But once the compressor is off, within a minute the frost is gone. Any ideas? Maybe a sensor? Obviously there’s more than enough Freon since it never gets warm in the truck.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Check pressures

Note high side, low side, ambient temp.

Might be normal might not be. Ac turn on/off is normally dictated by low side and has a pressure sensor on there to kick on and off as needed. High side sensor exists as an emergency stop if a line gets clogged or the system is overcharged or something so the compressor doesn't grenade itself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE