A/C converted r12 to 134a

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
start with the same amount and fine tune in with gauges and temperature probes. are you sure you want to do this? When maintained r-12 works very well compared to r-134 and it consumes money and a lot of time to convert it.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
It will cost you more in money to flush out the old system, replace all the seals and o-rings and accumulator and introduce new oil and refrigerant that will not be very cold in the system you have now.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but on my 93 the compressor seal went out, so I flushed the system, replaced the compressor, changed the charging ports for the gauges to hook up, and put in 134a instead. Blew in the high 30's for the last 5 years with no problems. I had 2 electric fans with shroud.

Oh yeah, also a VOT vairiable orifice tube, and the low pressure cycling switch (it is a few psi lower before it trips than R12).

OP
OP
crmzendrgone

crmzendrgone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but on my 93 the compressor seal went out, so I flushed the system, replaced the compressor, changed the charging ports for the gauges to hook up, and put in 134a instead. Blew in the high 30's for the last 5 years with no problems. I had 2 electric fans with shroud.

Oh yeah, also a VOT vairiable orifice tube, and the low pressure cycling switch (it is a few psi lower before it trips than R12).

How many pounds or ounces did you put into your system?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Well typically youll never remove all the old r12. You can get a retro fit kit from napa or any car place for about 60 bucks. They include Valves, Gauge and 3 cans of 134a which has the oil in it and is compatible with r12. Id start with 2.5 and check the system with the supplied gauge. When i converted my dads 93 fleetwood it used just about all 3. Just follow the instructions and youll be ok.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many pounds or ounces did you put into your system?

I use pressures and gauges. I only use exact amounts when evacuating and refilling an OEM system, and then still use gauges to verify.

I think you use 85-90% 134a in a system that takes R12. The low side pressure switch will be different by a few psi lower for 134a, that will make a difference on how cold it gets before it cycles.

In general, the system pressures will be higher in 134a, which is why it is not as good as R12. You really need a bigger condersor and more airflow, especially at idle where 134a sucks a big donkey dick. On the highway, 134a works fine.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
you could get r12 but not many places sell it and if they do its really really expensive

OP
OP
crmzendrgone

crmzendrgone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, 60 bucks a pints here for r12. I should just go down to mexico and have them charge the system with r12, probably WAY cheaper there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper