99 Yukon Head Gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yukon4x4

Reaction score
195K on her, and I believe the head gaskets are starting to fail. Noticed yesterday that I had no heat in cab, so changed thermostat, and filled coolant. Was driving around last night, and no problems. Drove around today, and noticed my temp gauge was going between 120 & 240. Checked coolant level, and was low, check oil, and oil level was above what it was a few weeks ago, and smelled coolant coming from exhaust while running.

Y2KpewterZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to investigate intake gaskets before anything else.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That will give the same signs as a head gasket?

Almost. It may depending on where the gaskets start leaking.

On mine I had no issues other than coolant missing. It was leaking into the oil. On another it leaked out and not in.

OP
OP

99Yukon4x4

Reaction score
Dropped it off at a mechanic I have known for 20 years, and describing what was going on, he is almost positive it is going to be the intake gaskets. He's going to compression test it in the morning, and go from there. Hoping thats all it is. Now, my next question is, would it be worth replacing the water pump, and timing gear/chains while its in this stage? Or can those be replaced without removing the intake again?

Thanks!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
If you are burning coolant, read the plugs to find out where. if they are the two front plugs it could be intake or head. But if plugs 3 4 5 6 7 or 8 then almost definitely a head gasket

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
OP

99Yukon4x4

Reaction score
Just pulled the plugs the other day, and #2 and #4 were fouled, to the point of almost no gap left. I noticed oil level was elevated, (still had an oil consistancy, and not milky) but no oil in radiator, no leaking around either head. Truck doesnt overheat, but fluctuates between 185 and 225.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Replace them and run a few hundred miles longer and reinspect. Just use some plain autolite 605's for now. Got pics of them?

Last edited:

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would wait on the water pump.
4 bolts, fan has to come off. Fan belt, fan/clutch, 4 bolts for water pump done.
Timing chain/cover. Oil pan has to come down, a lot more money.

Intake is not touched for either.

OP
OP

99Yukon4x4

Reaction score
I will post pictures of the plugs later, but mechanic is putting her back together now. Compression test and pressure test were done. They narrowed it down to the intake gaskets, my radiator was also shot.

They replaced both intake gaskets, upper and lower rad hoses, oil cooler lines, radiator. Will find out later today if that fixes the problem.

Oil pan is going to have to get replaced anyway this spring, showing signs of degration, as well as the valve covers. Just need it running till I get the wife another suburban.

thanks for the input guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n