99 Tahoe performance mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timberwolf13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
View media item 28735View media item 28736I just bought 99 2wd with a 5.7. All stock 170 k . It’s in good shape, I’d like to clean it up and add some goodies for a nice street sleeper.

looking for some suggestions for engine, Trans, suspension mods .... I’m an old school guy.... cam, intake, headers, exhaust. Thinking old school blower? Not really into NO2

parts make and models appreciated

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are starting with a motor and drivetrain with 170k miles on it. While these trucks, if properly maintained, will go well over 200k miles, I question how much you can beef up your current motor and drivetrain, without a partial or complete rebuild, to ensure it is capable of sustaining any power adding mods that you may consider.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the threads for 454/ 6speed. Otherwise its pretty much exhaust and tune. Only minor gains/major money for 350.

OP
OP
T

Timberwolf13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You are starting with a motor and drivetrain with 170k miles on it. While these trucks, if properly maintained, will go well over 200k miles, I question how much you can beef up your current motor and drivetrain, without a partial or complete rebuild, to ensure it is capable of sustaining any power adding mods that you may consider.

OP
OP
T

Timberwolf13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

thanks for the reply.... that’s why I’m looking for best value upgrades, if I’m doing a cam, exhaust etc might as well do heads , if I go that far I’d at least drop the pan or pull the motor to check the crank. Just want to up the fun level with some hp.

am I better off with a junkyard LS and tranny,

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many will argue about pros/cons to various upgrades, However The End Result is based on your wallet and wrench. If you really like wrenching/tuning for free then have at it. If you are "learning" thats a bit different, but not much. Cam upgrade requires tuning, maybe gain 30HP. GM spent alot of time and money to get that roller cam reliable at that power level. Exhaust and tune will get you 30 HP and maybe gas mileage too. Don't forget that you are draggin 5000# around. No competeing with cubic inches. Downsides to what you have mentioned so far- 4L60e is weak. LS is a wiring nightmare-Huge amount of time in harnesses.
So my original suggestion- tune and exhaust is $1000 and up . But you bought the scanner and tuner and learned a few things along the way, especially about time. Start small. Read the posts here about builds, and compare your abilities and time. Best build for a newbie is pre 1980.
And you will get alot of help here on the board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter