99 Tahoe 4WD Ground Strap Locations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meatstick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Going to start replacing the factory ground straps as I have a few electrical issues that I'd like to start taking care of such as intermittent rear left turn signal, pulsating instrument cluster lights (led) and Service 4wd Light.

Want to replace all of the grounding straps for starters but I need to know the exact locations so I know what I am dealing with. I did do a quick search but did not find any thread that had what I was specifically looking for.

I have found the grounds from :

Negative cable to passenger side fender wall.
Passenger side firewall to frame.
Rear Driver side bed to frame (Near gas fill pipe)

I was expecting to see a ground from the engine block passenger side to frame but there was none. I was also expecting to see grounds on the drivers side underneath the door by the body bushing but there aren't any.

If anyone has all the locations for this 99 Tahoe I thank you in advance. I looked for pictures/drawings but did not find any. Worse case scenario I will head over to one of the local salvage yards and have a look.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drivers side engine to frame on the 97 i used to have. i dont recall a grounding strap anywhere on the trans or transfer case.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

Other folks will chime in, as well.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are only two 'straps' that you already mentioned. The rear engine block to frame bolts in the same spot on the frame as the frame to firewall. It may have corroded or been removed. You can fix it with an extended bolt for the battery and running a 4' cable to the frame where the firewall strap is. ($11 at Autozone.) Which should help ground distribution.

The other main ground cable, not a strap, is battery to front engine block.

There are multiple grounding point locations. Thermostat housing, driver side next to rad, near fuel pump, interior driver side rail under dash and more that I can't think of right now. There is one at the rear for the lights on the drivers side somewhere, and I don't mean the one on the filler neck.

I just cleaned mine up as I came across them.

OP
OP
Meatstick

Meatstick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replys. I did start to look around and the ground in the picture below Driver's Side Rear has broken so I will get that taken care of in the next few days. What I did notice this evening is with the key in the "On" position and the left turn signal actuated it blinks normally. While it was blinking I turned on the lights and started to have issues with the fast blink. Turn light switch off and back to blinking normal.

Apologies in advance for the large picture size. Having issues getting pictures into my sig even with them downsized to 600 x 200. Let's see if this one posts in a normal thread.

Rear Driver Side Bed too Frame Broken.jpg

Todd Baccon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are only two 'straps' that you already mentioned. The rear engine block to frame bolts in the same spot on the frame as the frame to firewall. It may have corroded or been removed. You can fix it with an extended bolt for the battery and running a 4' cable to the frame where the firewall strap is. ($11 at Autozone.) Which should help ground distribution.

The other main ground cable, not a strap, is battery to front engine block.

There are multiple grounding point locations. Thermostat housing, driver side next to rad, near fuel pump, interior driver side rail under dash and more that I can't think of right now. There is one at the rear for the lights on the drivers side somewhere, and I don't mean the one on the filler neck.

I just cleaned mine up as I came across them.
i ran a 4 foot negative battery cable from the firewall to the front accessory mount, and grounded there on the Driver side using existing threaded hole.

OP
OP
Meatstick

Meatstick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so I spent the day at one of the local salvage yards. Found a few 99 Tahoe's and in my previous picture it seems that broken ground should connect to the fuel line bracket. I found that one Tahoe had a ground strap frame to backside of engine passengers side and a ground strap frame to firewall while another Tahoe had a ground strap frame to transmission bell housing and a ground strap frame to firewall. When I get some time I am going to fix the broken strap from the rear that I have and also attempt to install the missing ground strap backside engine to frame.

Frame to Firewall and Transmission-A.jpg Transmission Bell Housing to Frame Ground-A.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne