99 Chevy tahoe is Tapping and high pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
post a new vid.
this time hold cam down by oil pan, torque convertor cover,
Both left and right valve cover..

Hold it nice and still for like 10 seconds each location..

Try to get a feel for where the sound is the loudest...
You can take a PVC pipe or basicly any long tube ( I like to use paper towl tubes), Hold it to your ear and point it towards various sections of the engine.. You WILL find where its coming from..

When you changed oil, did you inspect it? how mutch metal flake was on the magnet drainplug?

Do you by chance still have the old oil?
Was conatainer clean before draining oil into it?
if so go pour it from one container to another through a coffee filter.. look for chunks..

You need to pop them valve covers off, pull plugs and while rotating engine.
Watch for each valve to completly close.. Check rocker for play. both side to side and up n down..

Now that you ran trans through it.. since noise hasnt shut up and and all cylinders have come back with 150 across the board.
Its time to look for collapsed lifter. If you dont find one, its most definatly rod knock.

I would start thinking about what your going to do if indeed it comes to rod knock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

schube1255

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The old oil came out thick and black - I did an oil/filter change 1 week ago - nothing in the oil - no metal - thick and nasty but no - lumps or anything hard. I will reshoot vid tomm.

If it is rod knock, I have full coverage ins. I guess I will run it into a tree ---

OP
OP
S

schube1255

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello - here is a vid of the underside of the engine - sounds like its right in the middle bottom - really dark for some reason but there are no leaks

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p105/eezzeee/?action=view&current=100_0807.mp4

and here is the top again -

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p105/eezzeee/?action=view&current=100_0806.mp4

I tried to pinpoint noise with a 2 foot piece of plastic pipe - I think bottom passenger side - but still not sure - rods and lifters looks fine on both sides

here is a pic of a the bad injector and you can see the gas was leaking from the fuel regulator - cleaned that side nicely.

100_0796.jpg
[/IMG]

Trippers99hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the trans fluid trick helped ,Try a fresh oil change with a quart of Marvel mystery oil replacing 1 quart of oil.
I have an 01 montana that developed a stuck lifter and have been running like this for 2 years....

I listened to the vid....if that is a lifter it is fully collapsed hard to say for sure from the clip,but it sounds deep......

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11