98 tahoe driving me crazy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fatwagon5150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did a complete tune up a few weeks ago,an now the engine is shaking like its missing.The tach dont budge tho. now my volt gauge is only charging steady at 9 or 10.Every time i fix 1 problem,a week later its something else.an when i start it it hesitates almost like the timings off.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Phone Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may sound stupid but check your firing order, make sure the boots are fully on the plugs and clean the battery terminals

JenneK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might try removing the serpentine belt and running the engine briefly to see if anything changes. If not, you can rule out all the hang-off (alt, PS pump, WP, tensioner etc.) stuff.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
recheck your gap on your plugs , ensure all vacum lines are properly installed

chevyboy831

Reaction score
You might try removing the serpentine belt and running the engine briefly to see if anything changes. If not, you can rule out all the hang-off (alt, PS pump, WP, tensioner etc.) stuff.

Agreed, if your charging at !0v and u got hesitation, might be an accessory issue. is there any irregular noises coming from the engine bay?

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
9-10 volts is barely enough for the truck to run!
You need to check the alt and battery or possibly ignition switch.

OP
OP
F

fatwagon5150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies,Gonna get the alt,an battery checked tomorrow.I do notice my belt tensioner is making noise.Just replaced all 4 shocks an next is front wheel bearings.Hopefully nothing else goes wrong.

OP
OP
F

fatwagon5150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys.I figured it out,starter took a shit so i changed it an found a ground wire frayed an about to fall apart.Changed the strap and a starter and solved the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikevisalli