'98 Suburban: Rear A/C Cold; Front A/C Not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badgmc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The rear A/C blows ice cold, but the front A/C is blowing outside temperature. What gives?

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the rear a/c uses another cooling unit. you need to take it to a shop, and have your freeons (cold stuff) filled back up, or aka have your a/c recharged.

OP
OP
1badgmc

1badgmc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I got this, neither front or back was blowing cold and the compressor wasn't even kicking on it was so low on refrigerant. I added a couple cans of R-134 and now the rear is blowing cold. That was all the 134 I had just laying around. It was a lazy weekend and I didn't go anywhere. I'll try picking up some more this week and give it some more. This thing was sitting undriven for over a year before I got it, so I don't know if that played any role or not.

99Yukon_Z71

Crazy Puerto Rican
Reaction score
When I got this, neither front or back was blowing cold and the compressor wasn't even kicking on it was so low on refrigerant. I added a couple cans of R-134 and now the rear is blowing cold. That was all the 134 I had just laying around. It was a lazy weekend and I didn't go anywhere. I'll try picking up some more this week and give it some more. This thing was sitting undriven for over a year before I got it, so I don't know if that played any role or not.

Sup man,

Burbans take 3.5 lbs of refrigerant, which is roughly around 5 cans of 134a freon. I would have a set of manifold gauges hooked up if possible just to make sure you do not exceed the low side and high side pressures. Also you have to take into consideration your outside air temperature, so the colder it is outside, the lower the pressures are going to be. If the system was completely depleted of 134a, and you added 2 cans, try adding 2 more and see if it starts blowing cold from the front vents. Remember that the burbans have an evaporator in the rear, and that 134a is pumped by just 1 compressor. You can see the lines running through the passenger side of the chassis, all the way to the rear. Hope this helps!!

OP
OP
1badgmc

1badgmc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sup man,

Burbans take 3.5 lbs of refrigerant, which is roughly around 5 cans of 134a freon. I would have a set of manifold gauges hooked up if possible just to make sure you do not exceed the low side and high side pressures. Also you have to take into consideration your outside air temperature, so the colder it is outside, the lower the pressures are going to be. If the system was completely depleted of 134a, and you added 2 cans, try adding 2 more and see if it starts blowing cold from the front vents. Remember that the burbans have an evaporator in the rear, and that 134a is pumped by just 1 compressor. You can see the lines running through the passenger side of the chassis, all the way to the rear. Hope this helps!!

Ok, that makes me feel a little better. It's been cold as hell for the last week, so I haven't felt like messing with it. Once it warms up a bit, I'll give it a try.

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my '99 yukon was doing the exact same thing. recharged it, and exercised the blend door servo, and got cold air up front. only catch is that now since it's cold, my blend door doesn't wanna go to the warm side. i plan on tackling it soon, the blend door, new compressor, etc. anyhoo, hope that's the fix for ya.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aye_rod

Latest posts