99 Yukon wants rear heat-has rear a/c now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have been working on a 1999 Yukon 4 door, where I fixed a coolant leak problem and he is aware he likely has a blend door/actuator problem because he does not have good heat at the vents. See my work info on this truck in the Garage section.

He has rear a/c but wants to add rear heat. He does have the overhead rear a/c control up front and he said there is just one knob control in the rear area.

Is there a kit or way to add rear heat to this vehicle? Any info/help is greatly appreciated.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years ago I added rear heat to a van. It was a self contained heater core and blower and I just teed into the heater hoses. You'd have to search around but surely someone still makes something like that.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM would argue that he does have rear heat…it’s just slowly seeping through those little vents on the floor. You could pull the cover off and see if the foam at the floor duct is shot, but it’s probably one of those “as good as it gets moments” if none of the other air dampers are leaking by elsewhere.

And they probably are. The rubber perimeter on them comes apart after a few decades, but you have to pull the dash to get to them.

IMG_8086.jpeg

Picture below shows the foam along with a torn damper, but that’s more critical for a/c since it lets cold air onto the floor when it’s supposed to be closed.

IMG_8081.jpeg

As for swapping a heat and a/c box from a Suburban into a Tahoe, I suppose anything’s possible given parts, time and money.

Tahoe box (evap core only):

IMG_7262.png

Suburban box (evap + heater)

IMG_5379.png

Getting the heater hoses to a donor box from a Suburban is likely a wash compared to aftermarket. The main hiccups would be “would it fit” and how to wire it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan