96' Tahoe Hi-Amp Alternator ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
What is the alternator output on a 96' Tahoe with A/C,all electric ?
I want a 140-160 amp for mine . Eventually I'll be adding lights,winch, CB w/linear amp , stereo amp and dual batteries . Where should I look , eBay ?
Thanks,
Steve

FunFordCobra

Reaction score
Im pretty sure stock is 90 amps. You can get a rebuilt 140 amp from autozone for about 150 bucks or a real high amp alternator 200a unit for 300-600.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
If you have an K60 rpo code it is a 100A. If not k60 post all your k** codes here. On a label on the inside of your glove box. You have to lean in to see it. You also can have a dealer decode your vin and get the entire build sheet.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ebay or Iriggi they make sick amp for trucks but bit pricey.

I say you should do big 3 and decent Alt but get a DMP Alt pulley smaller then stock and will increase Alt performance.

OP
OP
Busted Knuckles
Reaction score
Juicin' up my electrical

Thanks for all the great info ! I did get back on eBag yesterday morning and found a few there (145,150 & 160 amp) . They had a seller 1 yr. warranty and a 5 year manufactures warranty . They averaged from $90.00-roughly $150.00 .
Several years ago I had a "killer" 81 K5 and got a JC Shitzme alt. (One Wire/Hi Amp.) conversion . We were up at Lake Tahoe for a party , got ready to leave and after leaving the parking lot the truck sputtered and died on the road just shy of the top of a grade . The alt. surged and fried a Pot-Load of wires .
So there we are with a bunch of whinging kids in major two lane traffic and me under the hood cutting and splicing wires when a NHP pulled up and gave me a "ration" of ***** for where we were parked . I showed him the fried spaghetti I was trying to replace . I had wire and tools and figured I'd replace the fusible links etc. that were fried that were Luckily my Bro's missus had her moms AAA Card and we got it hauled to Carson City . That friggin POS kit fried the Dist. & the alt . so I got a reman. dist. and alt. and rewired it .
I learned my lesson and haven't bought ***** from them since (before that farce I got a set of Ball Joints and the right upper pulled out of its' socket during the install ,better then than on the road fershur) !
I'm going to do a dual battery system and eventually get 2 Optimus batteries, fabricate a base and mount the 2nd. one where that storage box is over the windshield washer container .

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock is a 105 amp. 145 amp AD244 alternator from a NBS truck or Escalade is a bolt in swap, you'll have to remove the rear brace (no provisions for a brace on the AD244) on the stock bracket and get a longer belt otherwise it's plug and play

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?232-96-98-Vortec-Alternator-Upgrade-AD244

140 amp CS-144 from a 98 or 99 Tahoe with the police package will work too but the plug has to be changed, it's only 1 wire so you can't mess it up, same plug as the 88-94 trucks and SUV's. You'll have to lose the rear brace and a longer belt for it too. I've been running mine for roughly 5 years with no issues.

Unless you're running a killer sound system, winch or something with a heavy amp draw they work great and can be bought over the counter, but stay away from Autozone junk, I would get one from Napa or maybe Advance depending on what brand Advance carries. Go ahead and upgrade the cables to larger gauge at the same time.

Biggwaukegan

Banned
Reaction score
Well I gotta agree with steamroller on most. 105 is stock. You could go to 140 amp and do the Big 3 and have zero issues. But where I diagree is Autozone. Some of their shit is crap but I like their alternators. Do what you do though

OP
OP
Busted Knuckles
Reaction score
I'm no fan of Autozone ,for sure ! . I'll hit a Pick-N-Pull yard or 2 when I hit Nevada . I want to score me a 4L60E or 4L65E and build it up for more torque/HP .
I dunno if you've ever heard of Pick-N-Pull or U-Wrench It . You can get a tranny with 30 day exchange for $100.00 . Did it with n 200r4 for a Buick I was building . Everything is a set price and all vehicles are up in the air already . Great Yards !
Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anas1993