89 vs 93 tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried some of the "cheaper" 89 and was pinging right around the 1/2 tank mark ..

My tune was also installed wanting to get the most torque and higher shifting points since I pull a trailer more than not. Not sure if there is any direct impact to the mileage or octane rating. The Corvette servo definitely takes advantage of the tune as well.

plush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told that going to 91/93 octane would be a waste as the performance would not increase.

I just had my BB tune this weekend. I asked Justin about this. He said the difference from 87 to 93 would be about 30 hp, before the tune. I was like WOW! I'm not sure what I am pulling right now after the tune, but I can REALLY tell the difference.

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe we all pick up the same amount of horsepower as I was told the same at install without going to the 93. Either way, it's one of the very best investments I've made for the Tahoe.

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so if I got an 87 tune and used 89 octane would I have an increase in performance?

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a question to ask Justin as driving styles and any engine performance enhancements all contribute to the overall performance if the tune.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

In my case higher octane does absolutely nothing for me performance wise & the biggest improvement going to the 89 was the jump in overall mileage increase.

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if my next fill up I should try to use the 89 and see if I get better performance and mpg..
I just don't want to screw up something.

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isn't going to screw up anything. The tune will either take advantage of the increased octane or it won't. You really should run any questions by Justin as I'm speaking from my own experiences. Then again, our engine mods are almost identical.

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is true.
I thank you for your input on this.
I like your truck set up it makes me think about upgrading to a nnbs and setting it up like that..

OP
OP
K

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone with autocal gotten justin to make the 87 tune and 93 tune and compaired them? I'll run it by justin too. I really just don't want to ask him to do extra work if its not worth it.
It makes sense mpg wise to to the 87 tune and run 89. but I can't see how the engine could generate as much power with a an 87 tune as with a 93. But some how reality doesnt' always make sense.
Thanks for all the info.

I did do the vette servo as well as a cai. On a side note. justin had told me my maf was reading off. I bit the bullet and grabbed one at advanced auto, and wow I can't believe how different the truck runs. Mpg seams alittle better but more is the fact that the transmission really shifts better and exceleration and long pulls are just smoother. never would have thought that a sensor could make that much difference.

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone with autocal gotten justin to make the 87 tune and 93 tune and compaired them? I'll run it by justin too. I really just don't want to ask him to do extra work if its not worth it.
It makes sense mpg wise to to the 87 tune and run 89. but I can't see how the engine could generate as much power with a an 87 tune as with a 93. But some how reality doesnt' always make sense.
Thanks for all the info.

I did do the vette servo as well as a cai. On a side note. justin had told me my maf was reading off. I bit the bullet and grabbed one at advanced auto, and wow I can't believe how different the truck runs. Mpg seams alittle better but more is the fact that the transmission really shifts better and exceleration and long pulls are just smoother. never would have thought that a sensor could make that much difference.

I appreciate that and anytime with the info. ;-)

I initially lowered it to make trailer towing a little more comfortable ... like it for other reasons now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz