8" WOOFERS in doors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am curious how hard it would be to install 8" speakers in the front doors. I had this setup on an older Nissan Maxima and it required some cutting but the Tahoe is a bigger door and that OEM speaker bracket takes up some space. Anyone ever install an 8" in stock location without any custom work?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well they make 6 3/4 subwoofers that would probably be an easier fit

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks that sounds easier and probably can reach higher frequencies than 8". I'll look those up.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found some kicker 6 3/4 on bestbuys website. they aren't too popular as 8s 10s or 12s but they are out there.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i was looking at those too. I seen they only go up to .5 Khz frequency and my tweets would only do 2500+ so I think I'm going to go a different route. Didnt want to complicate system with a 3 way at this point. I actually have the 6.5" coax installed and they are ok but was thinking of going to the 6.75" since they are same price but not in store. Only difference is 40 hz min freq vs 6.5" are 43. I got tired of blowing speakers so went this route with warranty just to get by. But might order the others thinking they will do slightly better? The 6.5's are nothing compared to my PHD's.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stay with the 6x" speakers in the door. The only to get good low frequency sounds is to have a separate speaker in a box, preferable tailored to the specific specifications of the speaker. A car/truck door is about as poor a natural speaker box as one could possibly design. ==>> An irregular shaped steel box, with lots of steel and plastic parts inside to vibrate constantly from the low frequency sounds.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay with the 6x" speakers in the door. The only to get good low frequency sounds is to have a separate speaker in a box, preferable tailored to the specific specifications of the speaker. A car/truck door is about as poor a natural speaker box as one could possibly design. ==>> An irregular shaped steel box, with lots of steel and plastic parts inside to vibrate constantly from the low frequency sounds.

I thought that was the benefit of sound deadening? I had 8" Dynaudio 3 way in a old maxima and didnt have crazy rattle due to good deadening but at the same time, I'm used to some rattle. But I understand your concern.

I was thinking of those Kicker subs that are 6.75". They handle up to 1500 hz. I was thinking of using this with a 3.5" 2 way (midrange/tweet combo). Anyone ever install 3.5" tweets in stock a pillars?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that was the benefit of sound deadening? I had 8" Dynaudio 3 way in a old maxima and didnt have crazy rattle due to good deadening but at the same time, I'm used to some rattle. But I understand your concern.

I was thinking of those Kicker subs that are 6.75". They handle up to 1500 hz. I was thinking of using this with a 3.5" 2 way (midrange/tweet combo). Anyone ever install 3.5" tweets in stock a pillars?

Yes, you are correct in that the application sound deadening materials within the door can greatly reduce, if not eliminate, rattles due to low frequency speaker vibrations, but typically the material is not attached to every metal surface within the door, due to accessibility and clearance issues. Further, there are specific design ratios of speaker box length, width, and depth that optimize sound reproduction, particularly for the lower frequency sounds, and the typical car/truck door inside dimensions are not even close to these optimal dimension ratios.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy some Audiofrog GB60’s. They don’t call them the best 8” midwoofer for nothing (hint: they’re actually 6”). I love mine.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just measured the BOSE grille on the a pillar and its over 4" inches wide. I think a 3.5" 2 way will fit in there with no problem. How about that with the 6.75" sub up front?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076