Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is your real MPG? 2WD or 4WD?

(I don’t need a 4WD so I ordered a 2WD).

I, so far, go to work 4-5 days a week 1 mile away but tend to go around town to run errands and such. (I’m figuring like $200-$300 for gas a month)

right now my 8 yr old, V6 Acadia is getting like 11 MPG but I fill her up every other week.

I have my Yukon on order, and I’m planning on driving it out of state (just over 1K miles one way). (So maybe like $500 -$700 for gas for the round trip.)

I know everyone gets different MPG for their Tahoe/Yukons with the 6.2L.

No- I cannot get diesel. I do not drive enough (5-6K miles a year), and everything I have read has told me that in the long run, I could damage the engine or costly parts to the engine.

OP
OP
Chloe_21

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is averaging 19 after 6200 miles. My drive to work is 20 miles each way, almost all highway.

Not too bad for a big vehicle.

Do you wish you bought the diesel instead?

I know I drive a lot less than most do, but I keep debating on that baby diesel. Lol. I keep hearing how people love their diesel but I’m wondering if years from now the gas engine would be the better choice in maintenance cost, and possible damage the diesel would sustain only driving 5K miles a year.

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m averaging about 20.8 with 90% hwy. I had a flat a week ago and had to drive at or below the speed limit for about 85 miles, mostly hwy and netted 23.7 MPG!

If you stay in DFM mode you can hyper-mile some serious mileage out of these big trucks. I was driving on backcountry roads for almost 2 hrs for work the other day and even though the roads were really hilly I averaged almost 22.5 MPG as I was at or below 65 MPH the whole time and most often in DFM mode.

OP
OP
Chloe_21

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Chloe_21

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5k a year? Stick with gas....
A diesel isn’t even broken in till about 30-40k miles min....

Thanks! I should know this but idk why I keep debating between the two. Lol.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
Chloe_21

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m averaging about 20.8 with 90% hwy. I had a flat a week ago and had to drive at or below the speed limit for about 85 miles, mostly hwy and netted 23.7 MPG!

If you stay in DFM mode you can hyper-mile some serious mileage out of these big trucks. I was driving on backcountry roads for almost 2 hrs for work the other day and even though the roads were really hilly I averaged almost 22.5 MPG as I was at or below 65 MPH the whole time and most often in DFM mode.

this is with a 6.2? - that’s great!

DFM mode? Is that like sports mode?
I have the manual downloaded onto my PC, I haven’t read up on driving modes just yet.

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is with a 6.2? - that’s great!

DFM mode? Is that like sports mode?
I have the manual downloaded onto my PC, I haven’t read up on driving modes just yet.

Yes, that’s with the 6.2. DFM stands for Dynamic Fuel Management and allows our Yukons’ motors to operate on less than 8 cylinders and all the way down to 2 cylinders, I believe. Here’s an interesting write up:

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gen...-management-cylinder-deactivation-technology/

If you’re light on the throttle then you’re able to keep out of the full “8-cylinder” mode and save fuel by running the engine on less capacity, so to speak. Others here with lots more engineering aptitude can chime in to correct anything I’ve stated in error or provide more clarity around the technology.