Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Chloe_21

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that’s with the 6.2. DFM stands for Dynamic Fuel Management and allows our Yukons’ motors to operate on less than 8 cylinders and all the way down to 2 cylinders, I believe. Here’s an interesting write up:

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gen...-management-cylinder-deactivation-technology/

If you’re light on the throttle then you’re able to keep out of the full “8-cylinder” mode and save fuel by running the engine on less capacity, so to speak. Others here with lots more engineering aptitude can chime in to correct anything I’ve stated in error or provide more clarity around the technology.

Omg. I’m dumb. Lol. I knew what the DFM stood for, but for some reason I thought it was some special driving mode I missed. Ugh. I really need to get more sleep. o_O:happy175:

Thanks for this info.

I sure hope my dealership gets the allocation soon and I’m able to get it for my OTD price. I can’t wait to drive it around and test it out.

Mike Diaferio

Reaction score
I have the 2WD and the 6.2L and my best is 21.5 and I have been averaging around 16 - 17.5mpg. I currently have just south of 10,000 miles on it.

Obravada

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve got 1,700 miles with mostly 18-18 mpg, best I got was 23.7 on the way home when I took delivery...it was all highway.

Jdsuburban

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have some really good data but note that it is from a suburban premium plus 6.2 l86 4wd with stock 22in alenza tires at 50% wear and 40psi.

Lifetime 60k mile average is 19.5 and that’s mostly (75%) suburb driving. Kid hauler with an average trip length of 12 miles. That’s a mix of my wife and I driving. Mostly my wife.

I am the constantly watching the mph and v4 symbol. I can keep the AFM active at 65mph on the highway. Mildly draft off trucks on the climbs and easily get 25mpg on a 500 mile trip loaded with 7 passengers and the trunk full. I can also get about 20 around town.

My wife never watches the mpg and likes the umph of the 6.2l. Starts it to warmup and cool down before she drives. She gets about 22 highway and 18 around town as it is supposed to get. Neither of us speed too much. Too old.

I would say it really does matter how you drive. The AFM won’t stay on with cruise control constantly changing the throttle or if you don’t hold the pedal pretty still. My best MPG was at the beach (flat) going about 35mph for extended periods and it got 30+mpg.

I had similar mileage with 5.3l 6spd. but it had a really hard time maintaining speed with AFM in V4. Factor in the cost of premium and the 5.3 wins easy in cost per mile.

Factor in the massive power, torque, traction, grunt, and mag-ride handling, 10spd trans, 6.2l wins. Ha!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chloe_21

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 2WD and the 6.2L and my best is 21.5 and I have been averaging around 16 - 17.5mpg. I currently have just south of 10,000 miles on it.

pretty decent for a heavy SUV!
Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
Chloe_21

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some really good data but note that it is from a suburban premium plus 6.2 l86 4wd with stock 22in alenza tires at 50% wear and 40psi.

Lifetime 60k mile average is 19.5 and that’s mostly (75%) suburb driving. Kid hauler with an average trip length of 12 miles. That’s a mix of my wife and I driving. Mostly my wife.

I am the constantly watching the mph and v4 symbol. I can keep the AFM active at 65mph on the highway. Mildly draft off trucks on the climbs and easily get 25mpg on a 500 mile trip loaded with 7 passengers and the trunk full. I can also get about 20 around town.

My wife never watches the mpg and likes the umph of the 6.2l. Starts it to warmup and cool down before she drives. She gets about 22 highway and 18 around town as it is supposed to get. Neither of us speed too much. Too old.

I would say it really does matter how you drive. The AFM won’t stay on with cruise control constantly changing the throttle or if you don’t hold the pedal pretty still. My best MPG was at the beach (flat) going about 35mph for extended periods and it got 30+mpg.

I had similar mileage with 5.3l 6spd. but it had a really hard time maintaining speed with AFM in V4. Factor in the cost of premium and the 5.3 wins easy in cost per mile.

Factor in the massive power, torque, traction, grunt, and mag-ride handling, 10spd trans, 6.2l wins. Ha!

My V6 ‘13 Acadia is at 11 - 12 MPG right now. A mile away from work. Hoping to change that soon. Love the convenience, not so much the people. Lol.

I’m planning on taking this vehicle across 3 states one day. So I bet the engine will be happy to get out and run. :)

thanks for the info. :)

Bowzer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not apples for apples but, 2020 Trailboss 6.2 14.3 mpg average over 7,700 miles at 39 mph ave. Gets 17 mpg highway at 80, 19 mpg at 75 trying not to gun it. If you like HP/torque get the 6.2.

OP
OP
Chloe_21

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not apples for apples but, 2020 Trailboss 6.2 14.3 mpg average over 7,700 miles at 39 mph ave. Gets 17 mpg highway at 80, 19 mpg at 75 trying not to gun it. If you like HP/torque get the 6.2.

Yeah, that’s the engine I ordered, the 6.2. It had a lot of pep in its step. It was a little bit noticeable of difference between the other 2, but then again I test drove the 6.2 a couple weeks after the other two.

My only concern now - is if the dealer will stick to the OTD price. I’m hoping it gets built soon so I can get a VIN and do a purchase agreement. If not… I guess I’ll have to wait. :(

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 6.2 in our '21 Yukon XL Denali. 90-95% is in town driving.

17mpg HWY cruise set at 84
15mpg HWY cruise set at 94

Around town 12-14mpg

Our overall average is 13.4 mpg with 5,084 miles. First 3,500 miles though we were in auto mode but now run in 2wd mode and do get about 1-1.5 MPG better.

Also, premium gas is not required and we don't use it. Tried it for around 2,000 miles and mpg difference was around 5% at best on the HWY and no difference at all in town. The only reason you need a higher octane is to eliminate knocking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442