6.2L or Duramax reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am more interested in reliability as I will be using the vehicle for long road trips with family. I have some read concerns about the 6.2L engine stalling and other concerns around being stranded on the road and taking forever to fix at dealership. Do you know if the newer builds have those issues fixed, now that it is on its 3rd year. The vehicles I am looking at are June/July23 builds.
From the above I read that reliability is the primary concern.
Absolutely don't buy a baby diesel.

Compared to either of the gas options (5.3 or 6.2) you are not getting a more 'reliable' option.
Right now in the garage I have a baby dmax and an ecoDiesel. Both of the diesels have been in the shop for numerous emissions based issues (dmax needed a full turbo assembly, took a couple months to get).

Of all the 5.3's and 6.2's we've owned (11ish of them); combined shop time is less then either of the diesels.

Would I buy another baby dmax; absolutely.
But not for reliability, I'd buy it for the range, for the mileage, for the novelty of it, but not for reliability.

OP
OP
R

raj07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the inputs and looking forward to contributing once I get my hands on the Yukon :)

About note earlier about CA aversion, that got me thinking. Great point. I think the availability of diesel and prices in CA does play a big role.

My main concern is reliability (not fuel economy) but if it is a wash, I am going to have my options open.

Tinbadtin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m also in the Bay Area and have had my baby max for over a year now. I have yet to run into any issues of not finding diesel, every major gas station has it. Diesel prices so far have been at or slightly above premium. I absolutely love the range, with 700 miles I can sometimes go a month without filling her up. I also regularly use it to commute 30 miles in Bay Area traffic and it’s amazing how good the fuel economy is even in stop and go traffic. Reliability so far has been good, but only 10k miles. It did have an episode where it stalled on me in stop and go traffic and was annoying (it restarted after a few cycles) however, this turned out to be nothing to do with the diesel but a bad transmission module, at least per dealer. They replaced it and no issues since. Good luck and you will not regret it!

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with this unfortunately. Seems like GM has not executed well on the naturally aspirated V8 as of late.

Or their V-6's...
Or their 4 cyl's..

I guess this is the story of the moving goal post.

"Hey we can't do gas engines good... so let's make a diesel and say we're ranked 1 (out of 1) for light duty domestic diesel powertrains".

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess this is the story of the moving goal post.

"Hey we can't do gas engines good... so let's make a diesel and say we're ranked 1 (out of 1) for light duty domestic diesel powertrains".
I think it was more like a planned obsolescence. Lets push everyone into EV's because electricity made by coal/gas powered plants dont emit carbons..

Say what?

CAPantherFan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Some here saying the diesel is junk and some saying the gas engines are junk. I don't know - just go with the engine that makes the most sense to you. Here's a write up on the reliability of the 6.2L gas.

FWIW I have a new 2023 Tahoe with the 6.2L and that engine makes it into a bit of a hot rod. I love it. Just take good care of it and it should take good care of you!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As time goes by, the government is going to do their best to run your life(s) and price fuel as high as they can to steer you to the electric vehicle. IMO, I cannot justify a new rig and will keep my old one and sock away money for the fuel increases that are sure to come. Unless something great is on the horizon........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman